Can I have my cake and eat it too?

HighSPL

I am currently a 2 channel person and need advice in converting to HT. I have read many of the discussions on this BB and have not come accross one that discusses my delima. My current system is Rotel, Marantz, and Klipsch KLF-30s. I listen to Classic Rock and like anything that is mixed well. My problem is that I like the system I have but can not find a HT system (pre-amp) that has true 2 channel capabilities. I like using seperates because I can upgrade one piece at the time. Does anyone have any suggestions for pre-amp and matching speakers for my KLF-30s?

Others more knowledgable may comment from experience. However, it is puzzling that you conclued that HT systems will not work in two channel. I believe they do.

You're not denied 2 channel.

There is a great deal of flexibilty in HT receivers and pre-amps. Much to build on.

Gil

Just a suggestion. Since you already have some Marantz gear you are likely partial to their products. I would advise getting a SR 7200 and using it as a preamp if you want to keep your 2 channel the way it is. This way, if you like you can use the remaining 6 channels to power any of the other speakers you are going to need for the HT. The 7200 comes with most of the bells and whistles you will be looking for in a receiever like Pro Logic 2, and a list of many others. If you'd like to check it all out go to www.marantz.com and find the SR7200 on the site. It isn't the most user friendly set-up but you'll be able to figure it out soon enough. For the most detailed info go to product information once you find the 7200. You can find this receiver for about $630 online right now. If you need to find some places just e-mail me and let me know. This is what I am looking at doing so I have checked into the background on this machine. How many channels is your Rotel amp? Just to let you know, the internal amps for the receiever are pretty good for 2 channel music, better than any of the other receiver I demoed and much better than anything else available at it's price point.

For myself, I am looking to get some marantz MA500 monoblocks to power my mains and center channel. I might also look to bi-amp my mains if it seems like it would really improve the sound quality. With the receiver I would power the rest of the sides and rears for a 7.1 set-up. Sorry I can't help with any matching suggestions on the line of speakers you are looking at but you should find plenty of others here with suggestions for you. I will be picking up RF7's for mains and RC7 for the center, with RF3's for sides and rears. Feel free to keep shooting off questions and welcome to the board.

Juan

This message has been edited by JuHorvath on 09-09-2001 at 10:37 PM