Help - cannot get receiver to work as sub amp:

kenratboy

Here is what I have:

Harman Kardon AVR 635 hooked to my old Sony recever via the subwoofer cable (tried it in just a aux input, 6-channel input, etc., no sound). I have the sub hooked to the left channel and tired the corresponding inputs. JBL 4648A-8 bass bin.

Kicker is, if I run a RCA cable from the audio out on the CD player to the Sony receiver, I get sound, so it WORKS.

Is there a level issue between the sub output and the RCA output from a CD, DVD player, etc?

I have no idea what I am doing wrong!!!

To reiterate, what I want:

Main receiver's sub output to any analoug RCA input on the Sony receiver (sub amp) From there, the corresponding speaker output to the subwoofer (be it L, R, C, etc)

Why is this not working?

Ken,

Try this: put an RCA Y onto the sub out cable feeding into both channels on the amp - use the aux input. Then feed both speaker outputs to the sub if possible. If that isn't possible just use one output.

It seems that what you are trying should work.

Paul

What are you playing? In other words are you sure there is supposed to be output from the sub / LFE?

It shouldn't matter which Input you use on the sony, as long as you have that input selected on the front panel.

If you are hooking up the Left RCA, Make sure you are outputting the Left Speaker, and not the right. Also you should be using the Left Front, with "Stereo" mode selected, if it is a Surround Receiver.

Lastly, are you sure the Sub works? I take it this is a passive sub? I tried a Google search and couldn't find anything useful about "JBL 4648A-8 bass bin." If it's not a passive sub (Not sure why you'd be trying to hook it up this way if it isn't), there may be a switch on the sub for Line/Speaker level input.

Also, just for troubleshooting purposes, try to hook up a cable from the "Front" pre-out on your HK to whichever input on the sony and see if that works. If it does, then I don't know why it wouldn't work from the sub output, unless as you said there is some kind of "level difference" on the HK, or you are listening to the wrong material, with no LFE.

It seems to me that you're listening in a mode that doesn't output through the LFE. Try setting the mains to small, set the crossover and all that jazz. Do you hear anything at all if you crank the "sub amp" up all the way?

OK, the sub output is working. I plug it intoa active sub and it works. I plug it into the receiver (sub amp), it does not work.

Going from the RCA output on the CD player works (albeit full-range sound).

I will try the Y-splitter.

Track I was testing has a TON of loud bass. Speakers are set to LARGE in the receiver.