What Receiver to buy?

Confused

I bought a HK AVR510 & Infinity Interlude Speakers (IL36c Center - IL60's Front w/500 watt built in Subs -and IL40's for rears,only because I wasn't planin on getting IL60's) and I'm not happy with this setup. So I am now buying Klipsch RC Reference series a all around and I want to get a new Receiver to power them.

What do I go with? I don't mind buying flagship receivers as long as they are worth it. I have heard so much now about Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo Intergra and HK's new upcoming AVR8000 that I am to the point of selling all my speakers and equipment and just go back to standard TV sound.

I want this system mainly for DVD's and Gaming (PS2, Xbox and GameCube all of which have optical sound) but I would like a receiver that sounds great when my son pops in a CD.

Also what is the any input for the RC series Speakers?

Are these more for hometheatre, music or both?

Is this a wise choice for the speaker setup?

Thx for any info.

First of all, don't give up on this hobby before it even starts! It seems to be consensus around these parts that Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha make the best receievers. How much are you looking to spend all totaled? What model RC's are you looking at? Odds are to figure out what you really like you are going to need to demo these receivers side by side using the speakers you plan of buying. Let your ears make the decision for you. No one has had the chance to make a full report on it here but I have heard VERY good things about the Denon 4802 and it's street price seems to be a little under 2K. If you want to spend the money, it has the features and capability that it will not become obsolete in the near future. Marantz should have the new SR 8200 comes out this month or in October. Haven't found out what the specs are on that one yet but I feel it should be a quality receiever and can be had for less than the Denon 4802. Marantz does beautifully for music IMHO but I have heard the 4802 can more than hold it's own. I'll also throw out the RF series of speakers as options to consider. When I get the chance the RF7's are coming home with me..........

Juan

Hi
You have made a wise choice in your speaker selection.
My vote for Receiver would be a Denon AVR4802
or if you can swing it a Onkyo TXDS 989
The 989 is software upgradeable severall of my clients
that purchaced this receiver last spring now enjoy
a fully upgraded receiver.The cost of the upgrade
was $50 and was contained on a CD Rom and was user
installed.I really like this approach instead of having to buy a new receiver or add on box everytime
a new format is introduced.
hope this helps

This message has been edited by htxpert on 09-11-2001 at 02:19 PM

Great choice on your set-up. If you are going to pay $4000 for your speakers I might recommend checking out www.sounddistributors.com. The money that you save on speakers you can put towards the SVS Ultra sub. If you want to hear about the Ultra go to www.hometheaterforum.com and do a search for the SVS Ultra or go straight to www.svsubwoofers.com and if you have any questions go ahead and contact Tom and Ron (founders of SVS)directly. They are very good at recommending the best sub for your room and specifications and will get back to you promptly. Hope this helps

Juan

I personaly like McIntosh.......

They are nice sounding..

Lower power yes.... but.. very clean and smooth sound.

just my 2 cents

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds