New Toy-New Questions

thebes

Didn't really need it but couldn't resist and for $75 I acquired a Fisher x202b integrated amp. Seller said he moving it out because it had a bad transformer. My examination reveals two bad output tubes and probably will have to replace a can (old leakage on bottom plate near one of the output cans) and it should be good to go. Somebody at some point put some orange drops in and swapped out the selenium rectifier so it's pretty far along already.

Oh, time to quit bragging on another (albiet mini) score!!!! and start asking:

Wierd hookups in back. Only one wire from inside the chassis for input selection. The pictures not too good but top left to right is ground (I presume for TT, antenna etc., next to that are two screws for "Left Speaker" but no desingation as to plus or minus, next to that "Input Slection" with 4,8,16 taps. Bottom row: center speaker with 2 screws but no designation, "Com" (one screw) and then Right Speaker with 4,8 and 16 taps.

With only one "Com" how the hell do I hook this thing up properly?

Next question: Front of the box has hi and low pas filters but also a "low level" setting for both Left and right Chanels. I presume I set this in the middle or do I turn it up all the way or down all the way?

Third question: Has two knobs called Balance (lettering on top) and Stereo Selection letering on bottom and also says mono and stereo. Confused on how to set these guys.

Ok get out those moldy manuals and get to work!1.gif

x202b2.jpg

post-14801-13819267135316_thumb.jpg

Hello. I'm a new member, old lurker.

I have a similar amp, KX-200. I think it is the kit version of yours. The orange drops and rectifier replacement sound like it was one of FisherDoc's kits. Have you tried him as a resource. I have found him to be extemely helpful in answering questions on my amp. He's slightly controversial on some BB's, not sure how he's received here but thought I'd mention it.

-Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for making me your first post and welcome to the Forum.

I've got no problem contacting the Fisher Doc, but there's a few folks here that have had their hands on just about everything, and I like to give their minds a work out from time-to-time. Otherwise they just lay around the house and drink beer all day.

According to the previous owner I'm supposed to put the black left speaker wire on the third tap and both the input wire and the red left speaker wire on the 4 or 8 ohm tap, with the bottom right spekaers wires on common and 4 or 8 ohm tap. However, when I do that I have to turn the Phase Reverse switch on or just about all of the sound ends up in the right speaker.

Could you do me a favor and peek behind your amp and see if you have a similiar setup and how yours is wired? Thanks.

Oh yeah here's a pic of the front of my new toy:

x202bfront.jpg

post-14801-13819267135896_thumb.jpg

The way you were instructed to hook it up doesn't sound right to me. A manual would make things easier, I'll see if I can find one. Your unit has a lot more inputs and outputs than mine. Mine is pretty straight forward. I'll include a pic in case it gives you any ideas.

FisherKX200.jpg

-Mark

post-18184-13819267136436_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for the reply and the pic Mark, sorry I'm just getting back to this.

I managed to track down the schematic and the setup appears to be right. Wierd having only one wire to set the speaker input. I'll run some test tones through it hooked up that way and also with both wires hooked to the left speaker taps and see if there is a difference.

Nifty looking speaker wire on on your rig, also see you're running a center speaker, and that meter /switch thing to set bias is pretty cool.

Glad you found a scematic. I found a source for a manual for your unit but he needs a scan of mine first and it is packed away at the moment (in the process of moving).

The meter you see is really handy for setting balance and bias. I believe it is only on the kit version of Fisher amps. The person who put mine together some 40 years ago did a superb job.

The speaker cables are one's I made when I was caught up in the "high end cable" frenzy. They are braded teflon insulated CAT 5. Supposed to be the nuts but I really can't tell between them and good old 14 ga zip wire.

I was running a center speaker to test my newly aquired CW's. Since one had a blown tweet I could only run one. The CW's are more efficient then the mains and so outpowered them. It sounded wonderful. I have since repaired the tweeter and am now running only the two CW's. I am seriously blown away. They rock. I listened to a DVD of a 1982 concert of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble last night. I can't describe how good it sounded.

I hope you have luck with your amp. I would love another Fisher for a spare. They made an outstanding amplifier.

-Mark