Juicy Music Merlin question

wheelman

Ok could I hook this preamp up to my audio video receiver? Ok take the Merlins main outs hook them to my nad receivers pre in's for 5.1 direct in for dvd audio only use the left and right. Then connect my cd player to the aux 1 on the Merlin. Then When I want to listen to my cd player I would put the nad input selection on direct in. Does this sound possible? Having great Hometheater, and stereo? I wish the Merlin had more ins, and a remote. Thats a cool looking preamp. Also for volume set the Merlin half way and use my receivers remote to higher it. Any of this sound reasonable? Thanks

Mdeneen thanks for the reply. It does sound possible then. I will contact Nad first. Those Merlins look great. I love the knobs you used, and the side panels look great. The whole package just screams quality! Could I use the tape loop in for a tuner, or any input source that has dual rca jacks? Thanks, Bill

----------------

On 7/14/2005 8:57:02 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Wheelman, If you put the output of the Merlin into the "Tape In" jacks on your reciever, you could use your remote for volume. I don't know if you would gain or loose anything sonically in the process though, just convience.

Rick

----------------

Would i still benefit from the tube warmth? I emailed Nad even if they say it's a go I still have to save. I am reading out of the manuel right now. This receiver has main ins, Tape in/ out, audio preouts, subwoofer outs, 5.1 ch input. Here is a note from the 5.1 ch. Input.

5.1Ch Input: Connect to the corresponding analog audio outputs of a multichannel source component such as a dvd audio, or multichannel sacd player, or external multichannel decoder. Typically, these sources will produce 5.1 channel output, in which case the surround back jacks are left unconnected. The signals present at these jacks may be heard by selecting the front panel source down and up key or the htr-2's { EXt 5.1 }button

NOTE: There is no bass management or other processing ( other than master volume control) available to this 5.1 ch input. While the mulit channel audio outputs of a dvd video player can be connected to these jacks, using the t 743's own dolby digital and dts decoding and digital analog converters, via a digital connection, will usually produce superior results.

{Interesting there is no explanation of the main ins.}

Tapein/out: Connect the t 743's Tape out jacks to the stereo analog audio inputs, of an audio recording component such as a cassette deck or cd recorder, or of an outboard analog audio processor such as a stereo equalizer, connect the receivers' Tape in jacks to the component's coresponding outputs.

NOTE: Digital input signals are not available at the analog tape out jacks.

If you are trying to get the best sound then don't worry about the remote control just hook the DVD and CD players up to the Merlin and enjoy.

Now I have a Luxman system selector that lets me run the left and right chanells from my A/V reciever to the system selector and the Left and Right channels from my Luxman preamp and then from the selector to my amp.

So if I want to listen to my Luxman preamp I hit button A and the signal goes to my tube amp. For movies I hit button B and the left and right A/V signal goes to my tube amp and I can use my remote to control for all 5.1 or 7.1 channels volumes.

From my DVD player I run the left and right analog cables to my Luxman preamp(or a Merlin) and the rest of the analog cables to my receiver. From my DVD player I run the single digital cable to my A/V reciever which sends the left and right channel to the system selector and to the amp.

Now I bought a Radio shack system selector and did not sound great but it worked until my Luxman system selector got here from Japan. I cannot tell the difference when I have the selector hooked up or running from the preamp straight to the amp. My best friend used to dj and works installing home theater so I'll do a comparision between the two and see if he can hears anything.

post-13699-13819267267196_thumb.jpg

Using this set up I figured out a way to take a regular CD and turn it into a 3 channel recording. Since I have both my A/V receiver and preamp remote signals in one remote I can control both.

1. So I select the Luxman preamp/tube amp combo on the selector.

2. On the A/V receiver I select dolby/DTS surround button.

3. Put in a CD in DVD player and hit play.

4. So what this does is sends the left and right signals to the Luxman.

5. The dvd player also sends a signal to the receiver but the receiver

only plays it on the center channel or in mono.

6. You do have to use different volume buttons but once you have the center

set I leave it there and just use the volume on the Luxman.

So I use the center just to fill in the music from the left and right speakers and it works very good. Not as good as SACDs or DVD audio but it works very good. Since there are not a lot of music on DVD audio or SACDs this gives me another option. I listen to my music from 3:00 AM to 7:00 AM and it gives me the ability to bring up things like vocals without having to have the left and right speakers as loud.

I think for this to work you have to have a system selector but maybe there is another way to get the same result.

Xman

Sorry I forgot that the receiver is your power amp. For music you would go from the merlins pre outs to the receivers main ins. You would have to use the Merlins volume control. Run your left and right analog from your dvd player and the left and right analog from your cd player to the merlin. Sorry I was thinking you already had another power amp. What is your total set up for home theater and 2 channel?

Xman

Well xman my hometheater rig is my stereo setup also. It's a very very modest system.

Mains, Sf-2 ( using heresy II's may have to buy a pair now, or figure out a trade for them)

Center, SS-1

receiver, Nad t743

satellite, echostar dish

dvd, onkyo

cd, amc cd6, nakamichi something ( not sure which one to keep. My brother gets one. The amc is smoother while the Nak is more lets say rythmic)

surrounds, small cambridge audio bipole/dipole switchable speaker ( because of space restrictions they do the job, more about getting that front for me sounding good)

tape deck, jvc late eighties now not hooked up

vcr, sony now not hooked up

subwoofer, Athena ten inch woofer with a bash 400 watt peak sub that susposed to reach down to 22 hz. ( I really don't have this hooked up either, because I like how the heresy II's sound by their selfs.)

I am thinking on maybe going with a outboard DAC, or try running the amc cdplayer with a coax, because the DAC's are quite good in the Nad. My main goal is to improve redbook cd while still keeping hometheater. I thought I could just go two channel and quit Ht, but after just watching Stevie Ray Vaughne I doubt that's going to happen. Watching something like that in dolby digital will make the hairs on your arm fall off from goosebumps. I found a tube line stage preamp for 350 brand new. It doesn't have a tube rectifier in it though, and it's very small. Personally I would rather have the Merlin even though that little sucker had at least four inputs. I just got done programming the Nad remote, and man is it great to only have one remote control everything. No more clutter. I had remotes everywhere. Many approaches I could take. I could add a tube amp, and a tube outboard dac to my cd player. I got plenty of time to think about it. I also want to add my Pc to my receiver. I am pricing rf wireless keyboards with a built in mouse, and a wireless vga to tv's do hickys. I got the Homer Simpson syndrome. I guess I will beable to rot right into my couch when I am done.