Which Amp to purchase

Northshore

I have decided that the family room setup needs more power and I submit the following scenario for the review of the forum experts. The way that the room is setup forces the speaker cables and cabling in general to be run up thru the walls into the ceiling and down again in order to connect all the components together. I would venture to say that the run to the speakers is 35 feet. At the heart of the system is an Yamaha RX-V 1500 pushing a 5.1 system complete with CD player, DVD, DVR, XM satellite.Now to the question, using my Yamaha as the Pre-amp which Amp should I consider? I have Adcom equipment in the dedicated room but I really believe something moderately priced would work just fine. Second question, could I go with a 2 channel amp for the Mains and use the Yamaha to power the center and rears? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. In the end, I believe that I am overworking the receiver with the long wiring runs in order to achieve the high fidelity I am accustomed to having.

IMO 35 feet are not long runs for speakers if you use proper size wire, 14 ga wire should be fine. I have a Yamaha RX-V 750 as my HTR and have no problem with my longest run of about 45 feet.

If you are intent on more power (remember it takes DOUBLE the watts to get 3 DB gain) you can use the pre-outs on your Yamaha to send signal to any combo of amps you choose.

I run my reciever at -20 db and in a 12 x 16 room get full theater volume.

I purchsaed a Marantz MM 9000 a 5 channel amp with 5 seperate amps and 150 watts per channel. Great amp with good power for a moderate pricetag.

You can drive the mains with a two channel amp and the rears with the existing Yamaha but you will have to do some adjusting to get them all in balance. If you have a SPL meter should be no problem.