Connecting two subwoofers

balaji

I recently purchased a Klipsch sub-10 subwoofer and I already have a Yamaha 8 inch powered subwoofer. I am planning on connecting these two subwoofers to my Yamaha receiver by splitting the LFE subwoofer output and feeding it to these two subwoofers. I have two questions. Is is okay to operate these two subwoofers , with different operating specifications, simultaneously? Will it distort the sound quality? If I split my receiver's LFE output and feed it to my subwoofers, will it make both subwoofers to underperform? Is there any better way to do this?

Thanks

Yes it's a very good way to use two subs. The only setting you may have to adjust is the

phase setting on one of the subs. set one to 0 and adjust the other until it produces the

most base. The phase control helps the two subs for cancelling out their sound waves.

• Like 1

Phase setting will actually need to be adjusted on both speakers so that you get your subs in phase with your mains as well as each other. The easiest way to do it is to set each one independently (kinda like the concept behind tuning pianos...). It does get a bit more complicated though when you start placing the subs at different spots on the room, which is a technique that can be used for dealing with room acoustics.

You won't be getting R and L spearate signal for each undividual sub. A split signal LFE will only provide both subs the same signal. ACI Titan subwoofers allow input signal from the R and L speaker drives. With the proper crossover frequency settings and phase arangement this will provide a R and L sub signal that would be discreet for each sub-woofer. You have the opposite question of the other post also currently active entitles "right and left". This gent has a DEDNON 2800 with R and L sub outputs...he only has one sub...his is an easier fix.

why would it matter to have a R and L sub? As far as I know, LFE does not have a left/right. They shouldnt be putting out any sound that you should be able to localize anyway. A right and left LFE out is contradictory in its own nature, because you wouldnt be able to tell which effect is coming from which subwoofer. Its much better off to have them firing at the same time, allowing you to turn their respective volumes down and still recieve better output, and with less distortion.

----------------

On 7/18/2005 1:31:55 PM Zealot125 wrote:

why would it matter to have a R and L sub?

----------------

Actually sub-woofer frequencies in theater and stereo reproduction can be different across the soundstage. An explosion that travels R-stage to L-stage would be followed differently if stereo sub-woofers were employed as opposed to just a single one. While it maybe somewhat esoteric those that have tried it say it's better.

3.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2005 3:37:51 PM Zealot125 wrote:

Then how is a single LFE channel split into a left and right LFE channel?

----------------

You can't. If you look up the ACI (Audio Concepts Inc.) Titan sub-woofer it is capable of accepting signal input directly from the R and L speaker terminal NOT just the LFE. This would be one way to run stereo subs.1.gif

I purchased a Y cable (Monster from Circuit City for $17.99) for splitting my receiver LFE output and then connected each output of the Y cable to each of my subwoofers. I see both of my subwoofers working fine. But somehow I get the feeling that my Klipsch is not performing as well as it was when I had connected it directly to the receiver. So wondering if splitting the LFE output is reducing the signal strength going into the Klipsch and hence making the Klipsch to underperform. But I still have not played too much with the phase setting on the subwoofer. So far I do not see a big noticable difference after connecting both subwoofers.

I am still playing with it and will post my results in couple of days.

I did the same thing with the y splitter for the lfe cable. One for the new sub10 and the other for the yamaha 8". With both on, the sound field is incredible. The sub10 runs the same after the y splitter. I changed the x-over setting on the subs so they don't overlap much.

I did the same setup, Yamaha 8' and sub 10 using a Y splitter and I somehow felt that my sub-10 performance was diminshed and the sound was kind of flat. Can you give more information on your crossover settings. Also were the subwoofers next to each other or across the room? I have a Yamaha RV1105 receiver.

Thanks