FAQ

Greetings,

On the autotransformer thread, Chris suggested and some others agreed that a FAQ would be a good addition ti the forum. As I didn't see anyone pick up the idea of a new thread to discuss it, here we go. At the end of my message is a paste in of Chris' post.

I think it would be a great resource to have and am willing to host it on my wwww site if that would work for everyone and no better ideas arise. Some mention was made of non-factory info being in FAQ form on the Klipsch site, hence my offer.

So, now the discussion is open, let's see where it takes us.

Regards, Jim

Guys, how about a FAQ Thread named simply "FAQ"

We can start posting topics in tehe two channel that we want to be in the thread, when a final version for each topic is generally agreed upon (thats gonna be tough) it can be posted to the FAQ's. All we need to agree to is general info, not opinions like Al's xover can beat up deans xover and Bob's can beat um both up, just more like here are all of the x overs for the each speaker and the creators coments regarding the same for the non-Klipsch ones.

Two problems I see are:

Getting any sort of agreement as to what to post.

Some numbscull posting junk on our newly created jewel of a thread.

We should have several threads -

General FAQ's

K horn FAQ's

La Scale FAQ's

etc

Amplification FAQ's

CD FAQ's

etc.

Doing a general search of FAQ should catch all of them.

Liek I said, the biggest problem I see is non-essential posts.

Can amy or trey lock posts to just one user? One of you "Cry for help" or above guys can be the impartial post what is generally agreed upon gatekeeper.

I think teh first step is to come up with the initial threads to use.

Just some thoughts,

Chris

PS: Sorry to hijack the thread if this occurrs. Thsi can be moved to a new thread.

EDIT: My vote for the person with the power to post to the thread is William McDermont. He does not build any equipment and has contributed a huge amount of information through his efforts for the general good of all of us. I think that this shoudld be considered an honor by the way (kind of a respect from all of us thing).

I think if you were to host it on your website then you wouldn't have to worry about this particular thread getting hijacked and all that. In fact, you could use this thread as a dumping ground where people drop their facts and then it would be open to discussion too before you got around to uploading it to the site. I've actually been working on a pamphlet myself to give to people that know nothing about audio and hopefully it will answer any questions they might have. One of those tricks of the trade books.

If you want I can help out with the design of the webpage. If we got real fancy we could probably design a database that would automatically format and create new pages as new information came in. In fact, I have a friend in Denmark who just wrote some code for this (and I'm sure he would be willing to let us use it for free).

----------------

On 7/20/2005 2:23:22 PM DrWho wrote:

... I've actually been working on a pamphlet myself to give to people that know nothing about audio and hopefully it will answer any questions they might have...

----------------

Can I get a copy?

----------------

On 7/20/2005 2:49:28 PM scriven wrote:

----------------

On 7/20/2005 2:23:22 PM DrWho wrote:

... I've actually been working on a pamphlet myself to give to people that know nothing about audio and hopefully it will answer any questions they might have...

----------------

Can I get a copy?

----------------

Only if you proofread it, oh wait you'd prob do that anyway 3.gif

Doc,

I would be honored to proof read your book!

Jim,

The good Doctor is correct that a project like that would be very hard, read that darn near impossible, to manage on this forum. And I am just referring to the way the forum software works not dealing with the personalities of those using it. You need to have someone in control of each section, like an editor. I agree a separate web site that allows the "contributors" to submit items to the "editor" for that section has the potential to work much better. You could also look at past threads here or create new threads to get the raw material.

And just so the good Doctor does not feel lonely:

----------------

On 7/20/2005 11:18:00 AM jim-analog wrote:

... I think it would be a great resource to have and am willing to host it on my wwww site if that would work for everyone and no better ideas arise...

----------------

There are only 3 w's in World Wide Web. 2.gif

Greetings,

OK, based on the responses and quite a bit of thought here's what I think might work.

First and most importantly, the good folks at Klipsch need to give us their blessing and we need to be respectful of and properly deal with the mention of copyrighted names, drawings, other intellectual property, etc.. I've been through this before with a mail list we run for Neotek recording consoles; initially there were no objections to our list and web site, but after a change in ownership of Neotek we were hit with a cease and desist order regarding schematics that were displayed on the site. If this issue can be worked out, then we can proceed.

We can start with a basic outline form as Chris had initially suggested with topic headings and subsections (of course open to suggestions). Then any/all contributors can try to add to whatever category they have info on or expertise with. Someone should then "take charge" of each category and edit/format the information. When a category is in reasonable shape and proof/fact checked, my web master and I will upload it to a dedicated Klipsch page on our site that everyone will have read only/download access to. As more info is compiled, we can do periodic updates. This is going to be a big project and will only be as good as the efforts of all involved. We can set up the page with links to photos, schematics, references, resources, etc..

Any and all suggestions and input are welcome. Material should be well researched and factual, not opinion, hearsay or conjecture (unless a specific category supports this). Let's try to do a really professional job to do our topic justice. We all know that Klipsch is the worlds best speaker company building the best speakers; we should hold ourselves to their same standard of excellence.

While I try work out the details with Klipsch, our web master and some other things, please start thinking about what you can contribute and putting some thought into the overall project. I'll also help with getting the first version outline compiled. If we keep all FAQ pertinent discussion under this thread, that will help to keep things organized. At some point, it will probably make sense to go to private email after the topic editors have sections ready to better enable the data to be uploaded efficiently. Until that point is reached, let's use this thread as our discussion platform. If we pull this off, we'll be the envy of speaker enthusiasts everywhere (well, we already are since we own Klipsch products!) and hopefully assist in creating more Klipsch enthusiasts and customers.

Regards, Jim

PS.................to see a basic idea of what this will look like, take a glance at:

www.analogbros.com/neotek

• 4 years later...

Amy, et al.:

It would be nice to have a FAQ section pinned to either the Garage Sale or Two-Channel sections to post at least the serial number FAQ: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/103886/1048788.aspx#1048788 and possibly other stuff.

Is there a reason why this hasn't been done in the past?

Regards,

Chris

...And perhaps FAQs pinned to the Technical Questions forum on "how to do acoustics measurements", "how to troubleshoot speaker issues", and "how to bi-amp or tri-amp using active crossovers" would be nice.

1) For instance, Room EQ Wizard (a.k.a., "REW") running on a laptop with some sort of semi-calibrated microphone and a SPL meter, with attendant cables, etc. and some simple procedures on how to check room modes and the effects of bass traps, checking out speaker performance once they've been modified, and testing new drivers. [8-|]

2) The "how to troubleshoot speaker issues" might include driver problems (blown or damaged), crossover problems, or connection/amplifier issues. There seems to be many questions about those kind of issues. [*-)]

3) We've had some discussions on active crossovers, but no one has written down how they setup their speakers and balanced them once the active has replaced the passive crossover. I've seen some pretty weird stuff around these parts that says that some folks don't know how to do this. [*-)]

Any other "missing FAQ" ideas out there. How about "how to beat your forum members to the draw on grarage sale Heritage speakers"? [;)]

Chris