More control when listening to music?

atomicskiier01

I have been listening to music using my DVD player which goes through a Yamaha receiver. I have an 5.1 RF-35 based system, but when listening to music I change the receiver to 2 channel (with sub). I don't really feel like there is anyway to control the levels of my music other than changing the Treble and Bass on the receiver. The only problem with that is that the treble and bass settings carry over to all of my other receiver inputs like DVD and video games. I use the digital coaxial out on my DVD player for movies, but also have the analog (red and white) cables going out the back of the DVD player to the CD input on my reciever, so I don't have to change the speaker setting when listening to music. My question is that I would like more control over the levels when listening to music, without changing the settings for movies. Would buying a standalone CD changer do this for me or would I need an equalizer, or is there a more simple solution? I am going to post this in the 2 channel forum as well. Thanks for your help!

Does the yamaha manual say anything on how to do this?

I have a Denon A/V receiver and when I switch from movies to stereo whatever tone settings I set for movies stays only with movies. And whatever tone setting for stereo stays only with stereo playback. If I switch over to 5 channel music what ever tone setting I adjust in 5 channel will only affect 5 channel and no other. So you should be able to set the tone control levels for each individual one. If the manual does not say anything then check with the dealer you bought it from and then from the Yamaha website. If your receiver can not do this might be a good reason to upgrade.

Xman

I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll try and answer. If I select 5 channel mode on my receiver and switch from dvd player to cd player to radio to any other player the receiver will still be in 5 channel mode so the tone controls stay the same. IF I switched over to stereo mode and did the same switching cd player to dvd player etc the tone controls would stay the same because it would still be in stereo mode.

So only when I switch from different the different modes does the tone control setting change. Only the direct mode this would not apply since direct mode does not have tone controls.

I do not think it is possible for different tone controls for different inputs, I use a 5790 and cant do it. Your unit is nearly identical to mine. you can however set them to were you want them for every source and use direct stereo from the remote, but this certantly doesnt give you really any kind of control, and you loose bass management.

so no I dont think you can5.gif

sorry that wasnt really coherant girlfreind is at work and Im bored tonight

look and see if the tone controls affect the multi-in jacks

I dont F@#k with my tone controls but theres a good chance that there not. you could hook up your dvd through the multi and your cd through cd input that may be a solution for one source anyway.

Thanks for all of the input. I think that I have to just set my tone controls where I want them for music (they are not too far off center) and I will just deal with it when I watch movies. I'll have to try it, but when a movie is running in a surround mode (DD 5.1 or DTS) it might disable the tone control anyways. I'll have to play around a little more, but I am starting to get the sound to where I want it.