Review of Popbumber KLF-20 x-over network upgrade

vman71

Let me qualify why I consider it a facelift vs. a mod. As far as I know, the xover circuitry isnt modified but rather ALL the parts are all upgraded. Its like when a person gets a facelift, they still have their same face but now it's got collagen, botox, tightened skin, cheek implants, etc., hopefully making it look better (Unless you are Michael Jackson, then this analogy doesnt qualify/work). In this case with Chriss xover network, the end result is something that not only looks better than the original but also makes the sound so much better. = Mission accomplished!

Ive had my KLF-20s for six years now and have loved them from they day I got them. They are perfect for my music tastes and for movies. I have them matched with a KLF-C7 for center channel duty and it also has the popbumper xover facelift (review of that to come later). Ive become very familiar with the sound of my 20s and know what I like and what I would want to improve, if given the opportunity.

Over the last two years, through system upgrades, Ive heard a noticeable improvement in the way my system sounds. This came by way of new components, dedicated circuits, dedicated listening room, power conditioning/filtering and new cabling throughout. Then I started reading the Klipsch forum threads and I became interested in what improvements could be achieved by putting in better quality parts in the speaker crossovers.

I contacted Chris Munson (popbumper) and discussed his complete overhaul of the Klipsch xover network. I really like his holistic approach to improving the xover network. So after a few emails, I was convinced that this is the road that I wanted to go down. Its a complete replacement of the original xover network and it also eliminates the need for the straps connecting the two pairs of terminal cup connectors. Chris can explain why this happens.

First, working with Chris has been a great pleasure and his product is first class. The xover network is solidly built with a clean professional look. I was really impressed with the size of the components compared to the original components (its a shame that you have to install Chriss xover network inside the speaker cabinet). Installation is very simple and straight forward with his xover network clearly labeled for proper reconnection. It takes about 1 to 2 hours and youre back in business.

These are my first impressions with the new xovers installed and about 1 hour worth of critical listening. My source is both regular CDs and HDCDs (I can hear the difference between the two formats, subtle, but there is a difference). I think that I have a resolving system and the Klipsch speakers naturally let the sound flow. So with Martina McBrides (HDCD) Greatest Hits playing, five words can immediately describe my first impressions post installation (in my system): clarity, smoothness, 3-dimensional depth, soundstage and separation. Each one of these characteristics improved noticeably in my system. If these characteristics are important/mean something to you, then Chriss xover facelift is your solution.

This is the most important statement, if you take nothing else away from this review, Chriss xover network for the KLF-20s makes a noticeable improvement in the way these speakers sound. They key word here is noticeable, its not at all subtle. Youre not going to find yourself wanting to hear something because you spent money. Rather, youre going to hear it because its there. I will never go back to the original xover network after hearing the resulting improvements! That statement of I find myself listening to my entire CD collection all over again is exactly what Ill be doing. If I could take a couple days off just to listen to my CD collection, I would.

Im just another person who has experienced the sonic benefits of giving the stock xover network a facelift. Because of Chriss xover network, my KLF-20s have been taken to an entirely new level of performance. My happiness and satisfaction with the experience and results of Chriss xover network are absolutely 110%.

As I log more hours with these new xover networks, I will post a follow-up.

I always like hearing words about the klf crossover " facelift." I am going to upgrade all my caps and such myself on my klf 20's when I get back from vacation later this month. For a few bucks you can't go wrong. And for as much as we all spend on equipment, it IS only a few bucks. I don't have the c-7 for a center, I have a homemade center of oak made with a scrapped out klf 10. I assume replacing those components couldn't hurt either. Thanks for the review.

Bill