I have a little problem

Rick_Derris

Ok, I got my center channel, the sc-3, and I love it. IT is great, and movies are much more enjoyable to watch. Well, I have the center channel sitting on top of my TV, samsung 27" crt. Well, I had my reciever off, and i had my tv volume really low, and I noticed sound coming from the center channel. Very quite, but a staticy noise. So, I checked the wires, and rewired it, moved the speaker wire so it wasnt picking up stray signals from the power wires, but the static still continued. Well, I went to my surronds, and they didnt make any noise. I went to my Mains, they are about 4", yes 4 inches, from the side of the tv, and I could hear a little static from them, I had to put my ear into the tweeter to hear it, but it definately was making noise. Then I realized, it must be interferrence from the TV. So I turned the TV off, and the static sound stopped.

Now the reason everything is so close together is because I'm an apartment dweller, so i dont have much choice as to my setup. And I know I'm getting next to no stereo imagining from having my mains within like 4 feet of each other, and I'll probably rearrange my lay out one of theses days really soon. So that will fix the problem with the mains, but what should I do with the center channel? I think it would be best to keep it on top of the TV, so is there anything I can do to eliminate the static sound? Or do I just need to add a shelf on top of my Tv, and keep the center channel up there? Also, how much damage do you think that that static sound cause on my mains? I'm had them set up like that for about 3 months, and the TV is on for about 40 hours a week. The sound is really only coming out of the tweeter, as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the long, and probably confusing letter. And thank you in advance for you help,

-Rick

Rick,

That's a lot of speaker for a small 27" tv. The sensitivity rating on the SC-3 is about 97 db which means it (as most Klipsch speakers are) is extremely efficient and if there is "noise" coming from the TV it can transmit into the speaker with such close proximity. If you have any type of shelf below the tv may work best or as you suggested, place the SC-3 on a shelf above the tv.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. So as long as it wont damage my speakers, I'll keep them where they are for now, and then when I get a chance, I'll build a shelf, or another level on my entertainment stand, so that will elimintate the noise completely.

And yeah, my tv is kind of small. It was a toss up, I could have gotten a bigger better TV, not that this on is bad, it is HD ready and everything, but it isnt really big enough, Or I could have gotten the speakers and audio stuff. And I decided to go with the audio stuff, figuring go bigger cause you can allways turn the volume lower, and the fact that the speaker will probably outlast the TV by many years, I figured getting a good audio system would be the better starting ground.

And I guess on a little side note, my plans where between the Klispch and a smaller tv, or a bigger Tv, probably DLP, with bose speakers. And after listening and comparing the bose to the Synergy, I decided that the remedies to the respective scenerios would either be to buy binoculars or stab my ear drums. And buying binoculars is most certainly the least painful approach.

-Rick