Just got La Scalas

nightrider

I just got a set of 1978 La Scala and am excited to get them to the house. I have a refreshed Eico HF-81, 14watt/side integrated circa 1959 that will be handling the job of making them sing. Have been using KG 5.5s with wonderful results. What do you klipschophiles think the La Scala will bring to the party? All tubes are Eico branded made by Mullard, EL84 output(4). nightrider

I won a pair on ebay that look nearly perfect in the pictures. I got them for $1140, I think this was a fair price, as the only dealer close to me wanted $3900 for a demo pair with damage to the cabinets. I haven't been contacted by the seller yet however. nightrider

----------------

On 8/4/2005 12:31:05 AM nightrider wrote:

...What do you klipschophiles think the La Scala will bring to the party?...

----------------

Greetings,

Congrats on the purchase! I recently got some '78 La Scalas myself and am floored by them (powered by a Scott 299B {edit: and an Audio Note OTO Phono SE}). I heard a pair of the bigger KG series speakers sometime back although I don't recall which ones. They sounded more boomy and dark with a lot of slam in the bass. My first impression was that they were good "rock" speakers but lacked subtlety. The La Scalas, to my ears, sound dryer with warmer, richer mids and more sparkling highs. Also, as another poster mentioned, the sound is efortless. Dynamics, both of the macro and micro variety, are all there; when the music is delicate, so are the La Scalas and when the music roars, so do the La Scalas.

All this notwithstanding, you will notice that low bass extension is somewhat truncated by comparison to the KG's. I find that a string bass in a jazz combo actually sounds better on the La Scalas; the speed and size more than make up for a lack of extension. (I've played at an upright bass in the studio and they don't appear to have the huge lows that, say, a synthesizer will get; however, they are *very* fast and "plucky" which the folded horn reproduces nicely -- to my ears, better than a cone speaker in a tuned cabinet.) Good use of the walls/corners will help extend the bass, but if you really need that last octave then a good sub would be recommended.

Finally, I really sense a lifelike scale to the performers and their instruments with the La Scalas, which is something I really appreciate. It helps further trick me into thinking that I'm getting an actual performance in my living room. For me that's a happy trade-off against the La Scala's (and other folded horn speakers's) quirks.

Hope this helps ... and enjoy!

Take care,

Scott

you'll love em I own a pair of 2004 La Scalas! I don't think most people who own or have heard La Scalas or Khorns or Belles realize just how much clean, clear, musical sound they can put out!! My best friend use to dj at parties with a pair of La Scalas with a Luxman preamp and a 100 watt Hafler amp and turntables that sounded freaking incredible!! One party was in a big high school gym and I climbed to the top of the bleachers across from the speakers and I could not talk to the person next to me.

La Scalas speakers outside sound OUTstanding!! I'm sure other forum members have had similar experences like mine. If you ever want to rock a party take your La Scalas with you but the party better not be near any neighbors cause they will call the cops about the noise or come and join the party.

Xman

Thanks guys, Scott I very much appreciate your input and comments. My Eico HF-81 and your HH Scott 299B are the two best vintage amps that I have heard 1.gif. My HF-81 has a complete set of tubes made by Mullard for Eico that perform magic with the KG5.5s. I think the La Scalas will take to their music production beautifully, I CAN'T WAIT!! nightrider