Teac AL700P - questions

pauln

Put the Teac in place yesterday (thanks Born2Rock). Wondering a few things someone out there might have thought about.

1 Is there anything in the architecture of this amp that functions like the negative feedback loop in traditional amps, or does the signal make it through in a way that this amp should be considered a zero negative feedback topology? It sounds fast like SET.

2 I hear that there are actually 4 channels, but the fourth channel must be activated and the volumes / input connections / speaker connections must be modified to utilize it. Has anyone thought about using all four channels in order to configure the amp as a "Bi-Amp Ready" product?

3 I can't help but notice that the Teac is more than half empty - there is enough space to implement a duplicate amp in there. Usually when you see deliberate extra space in a design there is a planned upgrade (like when there is clearly engineered extra space between the engine and the firewall, and next year they offer a turbocharger). What might the upgrade for these Tripaths most likley be?

4 Realizing that my LaScalas (2005/AL-4) are wired for bi-amping, I pulled the jumpers and put the Wright SETs on the HI and the Teac on the LOW. How do I go about setting the channel volumes for the Teac? Minimum is silent, maximum is too loud, and adjusting by ear is difficult because the Teac has more bass extension - is hard to decide whether to increase or decrease. Also, for the settings I'm guessing at it seems that the relative levels of the two parts (SET and Teac) seem to stay aligned with different volume settings on the pre-amp. But is this what one would expect, or is it my imagination? (The amps are about 3W SET and 30W Teac) The balance at diffent levels seems pretty steady. Can anyone recommend a rational methodology for ensuring an accurate balance between the bi-amped amps? Is there a test record or something I can do with a SPL meter?

By the way, with the SETs on top and the Teac running the bottom the rig sounds alarmingly good. I'm trying to withhold judgement until I have reason to believe that the great sound is real and not just the excitement of hearing the bass for the first time!

Paul

----------------

On 8/5/2005 10:48:28 AM pauln wrote:

By the way, with the SETs on top and the Teac running the bottom the rig sounds alarmingly good. I'm trying to withhold judgement until I have reason to believe that the great sound is real and not just the excitement of hearing the bass for the first time!

----------------

That's weird! I've read who knows how many posts by SET fans claiming their amps have wonderful bass response.

You should try it with an electronic crossover. I'd bet your results would improve. I grabbed a cheap Ashly 2-way for like $90 from PartsExpress. I'll toy with it on the Klipschorns, but it really was purchased to ultimately reside in the studio on the Altec 9844A. As soon as I get some time to run another pair of speaker cables & tear into things, I'm planning on auditioning with the Klipsch.

They do! (SET bass sound good)Its just that the lower extension of the Teac makes it hard to judge the balance. If I put the Teac gain where the overall low end sounds like what I am used to hearing with the SETs alone, I think I'm using to little because the lower extension is making it sound louder (sort of louder-lower). If I put the gain up to where it matches the bass levels I'm used to with SET for the mid-bass freqs, the additional low extension makes the overall system sound louder and lower - again making the acurate match difficult by ear. When I set it up to where it sounds right by ear, I suspect I am systematically putting too less bass signal through the LaScalas. Part of the reason I beleive this is because my SPL meter seems to be reading low comapared to what my experience would guess from the volume I hear. Since most of the power in music is in the 250-500hz range I suspect that is where my balance is off. Still sounds great - I just want it to be correct.

\Paul