Volume control

pedriscoll

I just bought an iFi system at my local apple store in Indianapolis. It sounds great but the volume control on the dock did not work. I brought the system back and exchanged it for another. The dock volume control on this one doesn't work either. Am I doing something wrong? I have checked all connections and powered the system on and off several times. The remote worked fine on both systems. Has anyone else had similar problems? I really love the sound quality, but for $400, I expect it to work properly and really dont feel much like packing the whole system up and exchanging it again.

Paul

It may seem strange to reply to my own post, but basically I just have to say "nevermind" I thought that the semicircular exposed area of the volume wheel was a touch sensitive lever. The manual really isn't clear on that. When I read the "Playlist" review, I realized it is a partially exposed knob, and works perfectly.

----------------

On 8/17/2005 2:58:08 PM BobG wrote:

Jay,

Should we put a peel-off sticker on the volume control knob that indicates its operation?

----------------

actually that is not a bad idea or a diagram because most customers and employees have or had hard times trying to get the speakers to work. Everytime a fellow worker tried to get the speaker to work they would call me and that does not look great to customers for the sheer fact that it looks complicated. Most people think it is either a push buttom and it does actually push in a bit. But then other people think it is like the ipod and touch sensitive. I would think a color diagram tag strapped to the wire of the module is better then stickers since the sticker would be removed while placing it on the showroom. Or you could include a little picture postcard next to the ifi as all apple stores have the little plastic thing that showcases the price. I guess pictures like a thumb with a counterclockwise arrow next to the module would help. And also show the volume setting please as most people are accustommed to a knob and don't quite know how loud the setting on the ifi are on. I have customers who believe that half power was full power because they were overwhelmed how loud they got. There like that has to be it. I tell them their only half way there.

Also, get some trained freaking people at the apple store. If Jay's store is having problems with an expert on staff, god knows how inefficiently the other stores are running. I know for a fact my apple store STILL doest have the iFi on display. Even the shaper image store has it on display, but there is not iPod so it doest do much.

Honestly, between the 2.0s and iFis no one should be buying a sounddock for any reason.

Ya, that kinda sucks, but the display should not be that hard to make room for, I mean, its not much bigger than the GMX 2.1's which are in every apple store.

btw, Jay, have you sold any more, or do you have any more funny iFi vs. SoundDock stories?

Jay, thanks a bunch for your suggestions. We are having discussions on how to best communicate the function of the volume wheel. The comments you make are important since you've been "in the trenches" and see the store employees and the customers trying to operate the product.

I was in an Apple store in Florida recently with some friends and wanted to show them how the iFi compared to other audio products. The iFi worked but several other models on display did not. Having spent many years in retail, I know how hard it is to keep a store looking and functioning properly; especially with customers fiddling with the gear all day.

I once overheard a salesperson say "we could really get a lot done around here if not for the cusotmers". I swear this really happened. Of course, if not for the customers, the store would be closed.

Anyway, thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 11:14:49 AM BobG wrote:

Jay, thanks a bunch for your suggestions. We are having discussions on how to best communicate the function of the volume wheel. The comments you make are important since you've been "in the trenches" and see the store employees and the customers trying to operate the product.

I was in an Apple store in Florida recently with some friends and wanted to show them how the iFi compared to other audio products. The iFi worked but several other models on display did not. Having spent many years in retail, I know how hard it is to keep a store looking and functioning properly; especially with customers fiddling with the gear all day.

I once overheard a salesperson say "we could really get a lot done around here if not for the cusotmers". I swear this really happened. Of course, if not for the customers, the store would be closed.

Anyway, thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

----------------

hahahaha I said the same. Nearing the end when I had to leave the apple store our showfloor manage left to. So basically I had his job and I said numerous times especially on saturday or sunday that the store would look like the picture if the dang customers were not there. Really, is it that hard to place an item back on the same rack instead of the one over. That killed me fixing the racks every 5 minutes since it blocks other items that other people might want. And with audio equipment they probably take the most abuse at the store. They are always started at full blast, kids like to put the volume all the way up when the thing is off just to f around. people always push the cones with their fingers. there is no thing as a tweeter as they become buttons. And yes even the mighty bose sounddock has a inherit buzz because the everyone beat the crap out of that one.

BTW make a diagram for the remote too. I know our store actually has the remote as we used one of the metal cables and a strong sticker and attached them. Other stores will not display the remote simply on basis that it will get stolen. Maybe make a special remote for the display model with a cable to tie it down. Heck the remote sometimes sells the product.

BTW thanks BobG and just jokingly tell Don that he owes me a tee shirt. 2.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2005 11:14:49 AM BobG wrote:

I was in an Apple store in Florida recently with some friends and wanted to show them how the iFi compared to other audio products.

----------------

LOL, shooting fish in a barrel are we?

I wish goodguys sold the iFi, they could at least display it correctly. I dont know why they don't. I mean they sell Klipsch reference stuff and they are owned by Compusa which sells the iFi.

2+2=4 right?

Does this not make any sense?

Jay, I've advised Don.

2.gif

The pushed-in tweeter is SOP in all stores selling audio. I'm just waiting for some clever audio company to put a sharp point behind the dust cap on a woofer or tweeter dome. I'm not sure what makes people want to punch these parts inward but it's a universal compulsion. I think Dr. Freud would have something to say about this one.

We're working to get iFi on display at stores near you. Some people are even starting to understand that the purpose of this product is to fill a room and to be a 21st century hi-fi system for the i-Pod user. Headphones and low-fi speaker systems only extract so much pleasure from i-Pod. iFi can provide a nice experience that is not so isolating and much more comfortable on the ears. End of ad.