Schematic for AA network

OldGuy

Norm,

You should replace all the caps. After rebuilding a hundred or more sets of them, I have never found a cap I would consider completely good in any of them. Usually the capacitance is not too bad, but the ESR (equivalent series resistance) is pretty bad in all of them.

I can fix you up with a nice set of caps like I use if you want.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

How does one go about measuring ESR?

I've seen LCR meters-and I know I have seen at least one post (somewhere) on how to tell if a cap was out of spec, but for the life of me, I can't remember how to do the measurement.

Thanks,

Jason

----------------

On 8/22/2005 2:37:39 PM jrt wrote:

How does one go about measuring ESR?

I've seen LCR meters-and I know I have seen at least one post (somewhere) on how to tell if a cap was out of spec, but for the life of me, I can't remember how to do the measurement.

Thanks,

Jason

----------------

ESR is a measure of the resistive component of a capacitor. All capacitors have some of this resistive component but a new good one will read down in the hundredths of an ohm. ESR increases as the capacitor ages and is just like having a resistor of the ESR value in series with the capacitor. Some meters can measure it directly like the one in the link below. It is a bit expensive and I think all that can measure ESR are on the expensive side. I think ESR can be calcluated by knowing several other hard to measure qualities.

http://www.elexp.com/tst_k885.htm

Bob Crites

I have a couple of really old capacitors at home as well as a multimeter that measures capacitance (and resistance of course). I'll check some of them and see how they measure. I'd like to figger a way of testing a capacitor without spending a gob of money on a new tool....much as I like tools.

Thanks for the info-

Jason

----------------

On 8/22/2005 5:37:20 PM jrt wrote:

I have a couple of really old capacitors at home as well as a multimeter that measures capacitance (and resistance of course). I'll check some of them and see how they measure. I'd like to figger a way of testing a capacitor without spending a gob of money on a new tool....much as I like tools.

Thanks for the info-

Jason

----------------

You can measure capacitance but not ESR without a specifically made piece of test equipment to measure ESR. The resistance range of the multimeter will not tell you anything about ESR.

Bob

Gotcha. From what I've gleaned, ESR is a function of frequency, so a DC source won't work for the test measurement. Is that close to correct?

BTW- thanks for your patience. I've got decades of education, but none of it has been electronics!

• 2 weeks later...

As I asked for the AA schematic because one of my Klipschorns was sounding a bit tired I spent a while going back and reading the old posts back to 2002 on crossovers and capacitores, WOW. Lots of feelings. Anyway I bought an ESR meter and had a great time. I forgot how darn heavy these horns are to move around.

Anyway the ESR on the old oil capacitors where all beow 1.0 ohm. Physically they looked great, no leaks etc. I got out the capacity meter and all looked good. So back to basics. This I should have done before buying the ESR meter. Anyway I checked the resistance of the drivers all nominal. Just took all connections apart, cleaned and tightened everything and fired up the amp.

Great sound again out of both speakers and I did not replace any parts.

I hope this does not make people think changing to new caps or upgrading from the PWK designed crossover is not a good idea. But I do hope it points out that there are paths to try before changing parts.

A good ESR reading would have been around 0.02 ohms. Yours are pretty bad at 1 ohm. Look at it this way, you have two of those caps in series with the tweeter. The tweeter is rated at 8 ohms. The 2 ohms in series with that gives you about a 20 percent loss of signal to the tweeter which is dissipated as heat in the caps.

You need to replace those caps. Your Khorns can sound lots better.

Bob Crites