heresy on campus (story time)

DrWho

So, I'm finally moved into college and had my first outting with my fellow pledge guys last monday night. We were out in the middle of nowhere looking for something to do when we stumbled upon some dodgeballs sitting in a bin near this outdoor food eating place (basically just a big roof with picnic tables sitting on a concrete floor). They had a small stage with a peavey based PA system which I figured out how to turn on, but it sounded like crap (for every reason in the book, not just cuz it was peavy mains...not to mention there was a note forbidding anyone to use the system unless they wanted to be fined a lot of money).

Well I had just recently installed a pair of heresies that I had just acquired (with the blown tweeters) and I've been using them as subs in my car...apart from a little cabinet vibration centered around 100Hz (which I notched out with my graphic), they make for some very nice car subs. Anyways, I pull up in my subaru legacy wagon, open the back hatch and point the heresies at the pending crowd. Of course all the guys thought it such a riot that I had such "big" speakers in the car...if only they were there when I was trying to fit my chorusII's in the trunk 2.gif

The headunit on my car is real cool because I can adjust the low pass for the subwoofer...which has an option for "off" which sends a fullrange signal to the subwoofer amp. So it ended up that I was basically powering a pair of heresies wired mono parallel powered by a 400 watt bridged amp (well those are the advertised specs). But man did those heresies sound nice...I added a little boost to the low end and they filled the place with sound. I was actually surprised and a little impressed by my "crappy" little system as too were the rest of the guys.

Sadly I didn't have my upbeat dance type music with me, so we all played dodgeball listening to three dog night and the beatles. I would have loved to bust out some of my "german techno" or video game remixes. Nevertheless, I'm the only electrical engineer in the FarmHouse fraternity (1 of 3 engineers total actually) so at least I established myself as the audio goto guy.

Now I just have to get all the guys interested in buying their own klipsch systems (I don't think any of these hillbillies have ever heard of klipsch...apart from the active guys already in the house who have promedia and synergy all over the place).