Newbie seeking Heresy advice

postjob62

Hello all,

I'll bet this thread has been around for a while, but here goes.

I'm a newbie to Klipsch-first post. For more than 30 years I've had an addiction to another (vintage) brand. I grew up with that acoustic suspension sound, the tight, focused bass and the wide dispersion of these old AR speakers, and I've come to love it. But as I uh, mature, I grow increasing weary of replacing rotted woofer surrounds, and doing routine maintenance on pots and internals-not to mention that I'm trying to simplify my life with smaller (power) amps, and you know the relative inefficiency of these AR's.

The Heresy looks like a good jumping in point and I'll bet it would be a good match with one of my Marantz 2230's. Problem is, which one do I try-so could I pose a few questions re: the Heresy's?

1. Which one to buy, the original or the II, and why?

2. Anything to look out for when buying a pair off eBay-I mean of course other than the normal eBay caveats?

3. Is there anything to the Heresy's purported lack of bass? I don't really want to fool with a sub, but if I need one is there one (not too expensive, preferably passive)that works with these?

4. Finally, is there any outstanding maintenance item to worry about, like woofer surrounds on the AR's?

I apologize for the length but could really use some direction.

Ed

Welcome to the Forum, Ed.

The Klipsch sound is a lot different than the AR sound.

1. Either the original or the II is fine. There are slight differences, but they have far more in common with each other than not.

2. Not really.

3. The lack of bass is compared to other speakers that go lower. But judged on their own merits, I find them very well balanced. The best bass is realized from having them on the floor (they can be on tilt risers to aim them more at your ears in your seating position) and in the corners. This is the position they were designed for. Putting them on stands and/or out of the corner will reduce the bass considerably.

4. Not really. A blown tweeter is not unheard of, but not a big deal to remedy.

Good luck!

Hey Ed,

I'll chime in, as a recent Heresy purchaser. Others on the forum will have more knowledge on which year, maintenance issues ect. However I can tell you in my small room, 12x13, mine do not lack bass. It took a while to find the right postition for them in my room, but it was worth it. I'm listening to Porcupine Tree right now and I feel like they are here in the room with me. GREAT highs and Mids and punchy bass. Mine were built in 1980, got them off ebay for $210/pr9.gif except for a couple dings, VERY nice. I've never purchased anything off E-bay without using Paypal, I have it set up to take the Payment off my Bank Of America credit card. I've only had 1 problem with a purchase off Ebay and B.O.A. credited my account within a week. Buy them, You'll NEVER regret it, only problem is once you get the Klipsch bug it never goes away..HORNS BABY!!!

Ron3.gif

I'm with Paul and Texas. I've got a pair of I's and very new II's. They do sound similar altough the I's being from 1971 suffered from some crossover mistakes the previous owner made. Very simple fix, replaced 4 caps with the correct value and a little re-wire(crossover schematics easily available on the forum) and they've been great ever since. I like the amount of bass I get. Seems "right", not over done with the music I play, mostly rock. Both of my pairs are in small rooms, on carpeted floor with the angled risers.

Ron,

That's exactly what I listen to, 60's-early 70's classic rock and blues. I'm not clear as to whether yours are currently on risers or not? Sounds like your bass is OK, so if you wouldn't mind sharing your setup...

I don't mean to give the impression I'm looking for crazy exaggerated bass- I'm perfectly happy with my office setup which has the 8" woofer AR-4x's. And I really have never known what the bottom frequency response is, but they sound great to my ears. I'm just looking for decent, tight bass in a more efficient speaker without a lot of maintenance needs.

Ed

Ed,

I'm completely low budget..for now2.gif my amp is a Denon PMA 777 integrated 100/ch. Phillips CD player, Techincs TT.

No risers..yet.

At low levels I guess you could say its a LITTLE bass shy but turn it up and ..well, I don't miss it9.gif

Deep Purple (Burn) Rocks on them, some blues recordings sound thin but I think thats a function of the recordings and not the speakers.As I said before I moved them around A LOT before I found the right placement, but once I did9.gif9.gif9.gif . I have a NAD 2100 power amp I'm dying to try but haven't pulled the trigger on a preamp yet

If you live in Texas you're welcome to give a listen.

Ron

Hi, I've had a pair of Heresy II's since '86, and had to replace a tweeter diaphram once($20 and a cinch). Probably the result of a upstream error.

I would never sell them, but have read of people who did, with regret.(except maybe that Brennan guy)

The surrounds on Heresys are a clothe accordian material, which usually withstands the test of time. Long periods of temperature and humidity extremes(probably years of it) may speed deterioration. However, they should still outlast the AR's foam.

I need to ask why you'd prefer a passive sub, as there are some two-fold benefits to an active one. The placement of Heresys is critical to the bass output percieved, but I wouldn't ponder that bridge 'til you're standing in front of it.

I'd also try to look(and listen)locally, or buy from a forum member, as added insurance. Although some may seem to stretch a truth, no one can deny the good sound a Heresy provides.(except maybe that Brennan guy)2.gif

----------------

On 8/26/2005 8:17:08 AM ironwoods wrote:

Although some may seem to stretch a truth, no one can deny the good sound a Heresy provides.(except maybe that Brennan guy)
2.gif

----------------

I wouldn't pay him no mind. One time he thinks the Heresy is the best speaker of its class, then later in the month feels its unbearable.