Speaker Placement?

pwimmer

I am getting the cinema 10 set up which has the rsx-5 speakers. I am having a hard time trying to figure out the speaker placement. I have 3 choices, 1- would be to put the on a stand for the front L+R with the center on a bridge above the tv with rears on stands behind seating area just above ear level, 2- would be to wall mount the front L+R and rears at the same level as the would be on the stands, 3- would be to put the front L+R in my entertainment center cabinet behind a mesh grill door about 65" off ground with speakers angling downward slightly. they would be on same level as center in this setup. the rears would either be on wall or stands as mentioned in the previous two locations.

Let me know what any of you think, I'm a novice at this and am just trying to figure out if there would be a major sound differences in the various locations. Thanks!

I suggest avoiding any option that causes a large delta in height between the front L&R and the center speaker. Sound gets very "disconnected" when a pan goes from L to C to R and changes height in the process.

If you put the L&R behind the mesh grille, you'll lose some of the openness, but this is also true of placement on the shelf unless the speakers are far forward on the shelf. The idea is to avoid early reflections from nearby objects and surfaces. Best solution is to put fronts and rears on stands, fronts in the same plane as the center.

It's not just the difference in height between mains and center, but also the distance between them. For example, if the center is 2 feet higher than the L and R, and the three speakers are only 6 feet apart, then you have a pretty steep triangle, if you will, and the sonic pans will be noticeably "jumpy". OTOH, if the center is 2 feet higher than the L&R but the L&R are 12 feet apart, then the triangle formed by the three speakers is not so steep and pans from L to R etc. will not seem to jump when hitting the center speaker.

I think I may be low on brain at the moment since I'm thinking about leaving for the 3 day weekend. I hope this makes sense.

Enjoy the holiday everybody. Think about how good we all have it when we can concern ourselves with speaker positioning rather than where we are going to live next week like our unfortunate brothers and sisters in Katrina territory.