Any of your equipement insured??

RAPTORMAN

21 years ago - when I first met SWMBO she gave me an ultimatum - her or pot.

She stayed with me anyway.[:)]

OK - all kidding aside - not since university (do I have to say I didn't inhale - oh no - its OK - I am not a presidential candidate).

PF is a part of my life. I started listening to them at age....8? Maybe. A number of firsts in my life were to a background of DSOTM or the Wall. All I have to do is put on either of those (or Animals, wish You were here etc. etc.) and I am transported to happy memories.

As an additional bonus - I still like to listen to the music on ocasion simply for its own benefit (although almost entirely the above albums plus Amused to Death). The rest dont really get played - but it is nice to have the full set.

PS - I did detect the humour - but thought I would answer anyway.

21 years ago - when I first met SWMBO she gave me an ultimatum - her or pot.

She stayed with me anyway.[:)]

OK - all kidding aside - not since university (do I have to say I didn't inhale - oh no - its OK - I am not a presidential candidate).

PF is a part of my life. I started listening to them at age....8? Maybe. A number of firsts in my life were to a background of DSOTM or the Wall. All I have to do is put on either of those (or Animals, wish You were here etc. etc.) and I am transported to happy memories.

As an additional bonus - I still like to listen to the music on ocasion simply for its own benefit (although almost entirely the above albums plus Amused to Death). The rest dont really get played - but it is nice to have the full set.

PS - I did detect the humour - but thought I would answer anyway.

\

Looks like you missed out on this one, Max!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4761256314&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/4761256314_W0QQamp;sspagenameZhQ3ahQ3aadvsearchQ3aUSQQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsofocusZbsQQfviZ1

Just noticed your post. I

don't really know what the "replacement value" of my record collection

is--maybe a couple of hundred thousand if broken up and sold one by one

on ebay? I certainly have FAR FAR less than this invested--just

30 years of collecting and refining! I still buy and sell A LOT

but the number of records in my collection seem to hover between 2 and

3 thousand discs.

So the *average* value of *each* of your LPs is between $66 and $100? I

could see that for some of the highly collectible ones, maybe a few

dozen that sell for considerably more, but surely you have a lot of

$1-$5 LPs. I am guessing that your value estimate is grossly

exaggerated.

Just noticed your post. I don't really know what the "replacement value" of my record collection is--maybe a couple of hundred thousand if broken up and sold one by one on ebay? I certainly have FAR FAR less than this invested--just 30 years of collecting and refining! I still buy and sell A LOT but the number of records in my collection seem to hover between 2 and 3 thousand discs.

So the *average* value of *each* of your LPs is between $66 and $100? I could see that for some of the highly collectible ones, maybe a few dozen that sell for considerably more, but surely you have a lot of $1-$5 LPs. I am guessing that your value estimate is grossly exaggerated.

I own at least 100 discs that are "worth" over $600 each with many of them worth twice that and some worth THREE TO FOUR TIMES that. I own EVERY SINGLE ORIGNAL BLUE NOTE, PRESTIGE, CONTEMPORARY and PACIFIC JAZZ 12" LP ever pressed--that's right ALL ORIGINAL PRESSINGS with over 90% of them FIRST PRESSINGS. I have about 90% of the Norgran/Clef/Verve original pressings. I also own many LPs from REALLY scarce labels like Transition, VeeJay, Dooto, Jazz West, Intro, Progressive, Jaro etc. If you stay true to form you will now call me a liar and demand that I show you pictures. Well, I won't do that, but you can email or PM boomac or GaryMD who have SEEN the collection.

Get a life, Paul.

Gently Allan - Parrot's maths are correct - he merely missed the prices that a proportion of your collection is worth - I could easily have made the same mistake.

It is interesting though - how much better you have bought than I have - in terms of investment only of course.

Most of my higher value records were expensive because they were new audiophile pressings on virgin 200 gram vinyl and all that stuff. New and mint they cost anything from 45 to 60 bucks a piece - but the moment they were opened and played I guess the value would drop by 50%.

Buying originals is certainly the way to go - and if they can be kept in NM condition their return is probably very respectable in comparison to other investments.

As a goodly proportion of your collection are rare to very rare records your estimate could even be rather low. It all comes down to how badly someone wants a specific title. Sold slowly, over a period of time, to the right buyers you would probably realise far more than the insurance value.

In some ways I am gald I dont have that temptation. Kinda nice to have the music without the thought of how much capital is tied up in it.

I own EVERY SINGLE ORIGNAL BLUE NOTE,

PRESTIGE, CONTEMPORARY and PACIFIC JAZZ 12" LP ever pressed--that's

right ALL ORIGINAL PRESSINGS with over 90% of them FIRST

PRESSINGS.

You may own one of each title, but you sure don't own every

LP ever pressed. That is absurd. That would mean that no one else in

the world has an LP on any of these labels. You yourself just recently

admitted that you have only 2000 or 3000 records, but now you are

claiming to own every example on these labels that was ever

manufactured, which would make the number of records in your collection

in the hundreds of thousands, maybe millions.

Since you always post stock photos of the covers, it's bound to make

some people skeptical, but I believe you, and there's no need for you

to be so defensive.

I own EVERY SINGLE ORIGNAL BLUE NOTE, PRESTIGE, CONTEMPORARY and PACIFIC JAZZ 12" LP ever pressed--that's right ALL ORIGINAL PRESSINGS with over 90% of them FIRST PRESSINGS.

You may own one of each title, but you sure don't own every LP ever pressed. That is absurd. That would mean that no one else in the world has an LP on any of these labels. You yourself just recently admitted that you have only 2000 or 3000 records, but now you are claiming to own every example on these labels that was ever manufactured, which would make the number of records in your collection in the hundreds of thousands, maybe millions.

Since you always post stock photos of the covers, it's bound to make some people skeptical, but I believe you, and there's no need for you to be so defensive.

Everyone who read my post UNDERSTOOD that I meant every title (and with Blue Note, both the Stereo and Mono pressings when applicable in all but a handful of titles), not every single copy pressed. I do own multiple copies of many titles. Why do you stoop to such stupid comebacks? If only makes you seem even more bitter and angry . . .

And as far as posting "stock" pictures from places like Amazon in music threads--why on earth would anyone bother to get out an album jacket and snap a picture and then download it when in five seconds one can copy and paste essentially the same image? Again, your attempt to smear me rings false and is as hollow as your soul appears to be. You are such a nasty human being--I would really feel sorry for you if the anger and nastiness of your bilious barbs were not pointed so often in my direction.

Get a life, Paul . . .

Allan, you'll just have to excuse me for believing that you meant what

you wrote. In the future I will instead keep in mind that you use

sloppy language and don't really mean what you say.

My false and hollow soul is just so bitter and angry that you have all

these marvelous LPs, I can hardly stand it. LOL! Those were some good

lines, Allan, fit for a drama queen. You do know, don't you, that I'd

sooner have any one of my 30-cent thrift store classical records than

your entire lot? (Unless, of course, it was for resale.)

Full of nastiness and bile,

I remain,

Yours truly,

Parrot