Poll: How often do you oil?

psg

To prevent any possibility of a gummy residue, use 50% BLO and 50% Gum Turpentine. The GT allows maximum penetration of the BLO. It has a nice aroma as a bonus.

I learned this formula, used for centuries, from Altar Guilds in Episcopal Churches who have the responsibility of keeping priceless wooden church furnishing in top condition.

For badly soiled items, the mixture becomes 1/3 BLO, 1/3 GT, 1/3 distilled white vinegar. Shake this untill emulsified, wipe it on, wipe it off. Later, use the 50-50 mixture.

Avoid any product that has silicone. This produces the dreaded "fish eye" effect if future refinishing become necessary.

I knew a violin maker who swore by Neatsfoot Oil, which is often used on leather products due to its ability to penetrate deeply without oxidation. He used it on unfinished wood prior (sometimes a year) to varnishing. That profession has ponderous patience!

He also told me that the ancients soaked the wood in urine prior to finishing. I don't think we should go there.

Best,

DRBILL