Shure V15 III cart - over 25 years and I'm still impressed.....

BillH2121

I've been using a Benz ACE cart on my Scout TT for the last 5-6 months and really like it. However, last week one of the channels went bad in the Benz and I sent it back to the dealer for replacement. Not wanting to go a couple weeks without access to vinyl, I hooked-up my old Shure V15 III. I've had this cart for at least 25 years and figured its days were long over. I am surprised, to say the least, at how good this cart still sounds. Theoretically, the compounds that make-up the cantilever should have become brittle over the years and response should suffer. I'm not finding that to be the case - the Shure is producing rich, solid bass, nice mids and clear, concise highs. Plus, the Shure tracks like a champ (actually, it tracks better than the Benz). I'm not saying its as good overall as the Benz, but I remain impressed with an old friend.

The V15 III is my everyday cartridge for my Thorens TD 145. Its a great match for the Thorens, and with all the sonic attrirbutes you describe. Very happy with it in my modest 2 channel system.

Exactly what I have on my Thorens 145 MK II as well. Only thing is that I haven't been using that TT becasue of my Super Scout Master.[:D][:D]