Basement with beams in place

damonrpayne

Yes, its hard to tell from my crappy photography but after that area has finished I'll have quite a bit of space. The only bad feature is that I will have to make a small box around the vertical beam but only a couple of inches and the room will still be just over 20' wide after the drywall is up. Despite how painful this building process is I know I'm going to be very fortunate to have a big room and a woman who does not interfere with my audio obsession in any way!

Damon, I've been AFK most of the time for a week or 3, finally got a little time to try and catch up on some threads I'd been following. Looks like you're having a blast with the building project!!! (Or not). Not to worry, it will get better. I'm not an engineer/designer/contractor, but from what I can see with the new picture, a post on the end of each beam, with a pad underneath each post, should oughta work. I don't recall if you mentioned the length of each beam, I know 22' or so was mentioned someplace, not sure if that's per beam or the full span. Even if it's 44', you have two seperate supports both rated at many thousands of pounds I'm sure, I realize houses aren't light, but you're also only supporting a percentage of it on these two beams. I'd be in the same shoes as you are, if the contractor says it'll work, and the county says it'll work, do I really want to go out to hire someone just to hear it won't work? I mean, sure, it absolutly, positivly MUST work, or your house caves in, but I doubt it's the first time the builder or inspector has seen something of this design or span. From an engineer's viewpoint it may not be the best design, it may not be the most efficient design, it may not be the correct way to solve an issue, but if it works and makes the price point, well, everything's a compromise somewhere. (Sorry Gilbert, though you are probably technically correct.)

I'm glad you've gotten past the beam issue and are moving along, it won't be but a few days once they start throwing up walls till they're doing shingles. Ours' took a bit since it was stick built, but the ones built off site and erected on site seem to be a flashbulb and they're up. Be there frequently to take pictues. One thing I did was to try and make sure I had pictures of every wall after the wiring was run but before the sheetrock went up, with a yardstick taped to a stud a foot off the floor so I could tell exactly where wiring was at in case I ever want to cut into walls. Oh yeah, plumbing too. ducting, etc. you get the idea.

Oh he77, you probably have wiring already ran and sheetrock installed before the walls get on site? If so, forget this idea, if not, run with it!!

We're still looking at the pictures from last year, dated, so we know just where we were and what stage we were in a year ago today. I think this past weekend we were doing tile in the entryway and bathrooms. WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Good luck, you'll get there.

CTBB:

Its hard to keep the chin up some days. They were done with the basement over a week ago and I found out yesterday that my walls etc. will be arriving on September 30th. So due to my builder really not trying very hard to schedule consecutive tasks anywhere near each other I've not saved any time over stick building.

we had a commercial vaccuume and used it throughout the process for sawdust, drywall dust and kept a clean house daily sweeping. when you het to the HVAC you will appreciate it later.. No trash to attract bugs behind your shower stalls..etc etc.. make sure the stuff over the concrete on the outside is on right too.. this is your water vapor..... even more important in your house...

And will be cool when the first floor ... floor is done. You get a real feel as the walls appear as well.