New Synergy SUB-12

Bonzo

I wanted more bass with my Heresy's in a two channel system but I'm kinda cheap nowadays! Had about a $400 budget. Going off the theory that bigger is better, I at least wanted a 12" powered sub. I wasn't much impressed with the KSW-12 in my room. A friend of mine, who is a Klipsch dealer, let me take the new Synergy SUB-12 home to try. I have limited placement options so I put it next to a couch about 2' from the side wall and 1' from the back near a corner. I initially though it was a bit boomy on some material, mainly Jazz, but very tight on others. One thing I did was to stuff a towel in the port. This really tightened the bass up and helped the boom, at least with most music. I remove the towel for movies which enhances the low effects. It is a big black cube, but with a little experimentation and, for the money, I am very happy with it! I have it hooked up on the B side of my Yamaha receiver via speaker cable. I am going to try using patch cord from the pre-in/main-out of the receiver. Problem is I need two 22' runs of patch cord! I will let you know how that works out later.

Thanks,

M[:D]

Sounds like you've grown somehwhat accustomed to the lack of low end with your heresies! Try to not plug up the port on your sub for about 2 weeks of good listening (one month if you don't listen often) and then see if you have changed the way you hear. There really is no way in the world that the Sub-12 is a boomy sub unless it's setup way wrong.

Not to imply that you did something wrong, but how exactly did you go about dialing the Sub-12 into your system? I can imagine that there are some issues with trying to match the crossover to the natural roll-off of the heresy, which has a different slope than that of the crossover. This puts you in a position where the sub will either sound too quiet (little gain in the low end) or there will be a slight peak around the crossover region. You basically need to play a lot of music while moving the crossover point around while adjusting the volume accordingly, trying to find a compromise that matches your listening habits. There is no reason why you should have to plug the port to get rid of "boominess" - it should be accounted for in other less detrimental ways.

Is there any reason why the sub can't be positioned closer to the mains? What you might percieve as a bit boomy may actually be the fact that you can localize the sub (basically detect that it's not matching the sound from the mains).

Btw, the implementation of plugging the port is going to relatively increase the upper frequencies, which are actually the ones typically responsible for "boom" and "localizeability". So essentially what you are doing is making your subwoofer match the roll off of your heresies, which is a bit counter-intuitive because you're trying to extend the low end with the addition of a sub. This is why I think you've grown accustomed to your heresy sound, of which you will need to break yourself.

Also, the fact that you thought it was boomy with jazz indicates that it is a higher frequency issue (not a low end one). So plugging your port makes no sense either. Jazz generally doesn't go very low in frequency...I would say down to about 50-60Hz at most. However, your port is only affecting the frequency response down in the 30-45Hz region (where it is tuned). So plugging the port isn't going to make much of a difference, except maybe in the 50Hz region...which prob has more to do with the crossover point and phase setting on the speaker. Does the Sub-12 even have a phase dial, or is it the 0 and 180 degree switch?

I agree totally with the good doctor; the Sub-12 is not a one-note boomy sub. I have one of the first ones probably sold and could not be happier. Sub placement and setup is sooooo critical to getting everything out of it you want to! IMO at it's price point it is a real winner. PS, they have a switch for phase.

Thanks for the info.! I am certainly going to do a lot more experimentation with it as you suggest. Like most audio equipment, I am sure there is also a "break in" period? It also really brings out the quality of certain recordings. I have 300 CD's in a mega-changer. When I set it to random play, older recordings become very evident! You can barely hear the bass on an older Wes Montgomery CD I have, then a Keb Mo' SACD will come[;)] on and, WOW, the walls are shaking! I think half the fun is dialing it in!

Cheers

Check this dink out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-KLIPSCH-SYNERGY-SUB-12-SUBWOOFER_W0QQitemZ5808808118QQcategoryZ3275QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WOW! What a deal! The very SAME one he has seen advertised on "other websites" for $750......I feel for anyone who would pay $750 for a sub that sells every day at BB for $499 and often can be had for $450. It amazes me to see how some people do business on eBay. $450 + $50 to ship....why not go to your local BB for one and get the Klipsch warranty....unreal.

I think I about have it dialed in! Spent a good two hours listening to various types of music, adjusting the volume and the crossover, moving it around etc. I have to say, I am very happy with it now! Crossover is just a touch above 80 hz and the volume around 4, phase at 0. A nearly seemless blend and amazing compliment to my Heresy's! [:D][li]

Thanks once again to the Klipsch faithful for all your help and advise. I really do appreciate it!

M