Center Channel Mixer????

Dave in Nashville

I just finished rebuilding a set of 1977 LaScallas with ALK crossovers. My problem is the size of my listening room (18 x 22). The speakers are placed along the long wall. Does anyone know about the availability of a center channel mixer (Left and Right in, Center out) on the market? I would rather not have to buy another receiver with the center channel built in.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Dave

If you have a separate preamp and amp, you can feed a center channel amp through a couple resistors (don't recall appropriate values), one from the left channel preamp out to the power amp, one from the right channel. You could do the same thing from the speaker outputs using bigger resistors.

I believe people also used to connect a center channel between the hot speaker terminal of the left channel and the hot speaker terminal of the right channel.

Dave,

There has been several posts on this subject recently. Do a search, or e-mail me if you wish and I'll send you the "Dope from Hope" issue that deals with this. I copied my resistor box from Al Klappenberger. There are several ways to go depending on your equipment. Best way is from a preamp out to a mono amp with a gain control and onto the center channel, but can be done from speaker level outputs if you have a receiver or integrated amp. I'll send you my box that I used to use with my integrated if you want. I've saved it, but don't need it.

Fred