RF-7 Problem. Need advice.

capo72

I've had my RF-7's for a couple months now. I'm still working on the theater room (drywall starts today!). I've had a couple of them out and listening to them while I work on the room. At 1st I had one speaker crackling once in a while. I thought maybe it was a bad connection due to a makeshift set-up. I moved them a couple of times and reset-up. It started getting worse. All connections were good. I swapped channels thinking maybe it was the amp, Surely it can't be my new 7's. No help. I even switched amps. Still not right. After a while it sounded like the tweeter was cutting in and out, then it was mostley cut out. With the tweeter cutout most of the time, I noticed the woofers on the bad speaker moving quite a bit more than they should, even at low volume. Well now everything is boxed back up to move out of the way for drywall.

Here is my dillema. Do I take it apart myself to try and find the problem? I've taken many apart before, so It's not that I don't know how, or I'm incapable. It's that this is a brand new speaker with a 5 year warranty. Do I take it back and let some yahoo work on it, when it my just be a loose wire? I'm leaning toward looking into it myself, but I don't want to void the warranty if I take it apart. My wife thinks that for what I paid, I should just take it back. I've thought about calling tech support to see what I can do, but thought I would get some opinions here 1st. Let me know what you think.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

The RF-7s are big and easily dropped etc. I vote for inspecting the wiring and the crossover.

The drivers are heavy, so some care is needed when you remove the horn. A Torx bit of the proper size is all that is needed. The horn has spring loaded retainers with button releases. The wires have been known to come out in shipment. Polarity is marked.

Once the horn is out, you can inspect the wires to the top woofer. The bottom woofer can be inspected from the ports in back and the terminal cup's hole.

The crossover is on the back of the terminal cup. Sometimes parts are not properly glued in place on the crossover so that inertia could loosen them in shipment.

Bill