small, cheap starter system?

Scp53

http://www.mission.co.uk/product/m3series/images/loudspeaker_m3s_system_blk_lo.jpg

for those that are looking for a really cheap theater system(5 speakers

and a subwoofer) this may be the ticket. however, i dont know much

about mission. ive just heard of them and thought they build decent

speakers. this retails for $400 and now is 200. not bad. comments? scp53

yeah, i hear what your saying. the only thing that would concern

me(just my opinion.) is the amp on the ultras. i personally have never

owned them but because ive seen a lot of post about them in the 5.1

section, id be a little more hesitant. past that, yeah no doubt there

better than the missions.

as for a dvd player with pre outs? i actually have one and for what it

cost, its sound alright. in particular i have the toshiba sd 4900 i

believe. its like a 100 bucks or so. i got it for 80 i think. even has

all the setup of speakers and such for the decoder. size of speakers,

distance away, db's, and some other things. downfall is that there

still cheap dacs(i think even the cheapest of receivers($200 +) are

better than this one for decoding), and in my case, i cant do dts. it

only outputs dolby.

scp53

Though it is more expensive, I bet the klipsch promedias sound way better. I'm sure a dvd player can be found that has analog pre-outs and still cost under $100.

Uhh sorry to inject some reality dose but.NO These little Mission sats are way more refined than ProMedia sats.The only departament where the ProMedia(Ultra 5.1) has a chance and may even outperform slightly the Mission is in the sub.

q For a cheap starter system, I would put the money into 2 better loudspeakers, possibly with a sub, than spread it around a 5.1 system

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

q I heard the Klipsch clearance Promedia GMX A system at peacherman Daddydees <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Arkansas gathering in May 2004 and it is quite nice for less than $100 -

q the JVC combo, with digital T amplifier and wood cone loudspeakers, at SoundAdvice/Tweeters, is also very nice sound, looks and modern technology for $400-

q I picked up some heavy Altec Lansing Model One speakers at Goodwill for 10 bucks, put in 2 new woofers for $40, and power a cheap $40 DVD player with the $35 Sonic Impact 5066 integrated class-T digital amplifier, for great sound at less than $150

q Used vintage harmon kardon twin-powered 430, 630, 730 and 930 solid-state receivers, again two-channel, are a bargain compared to modern receivers-

I think its difficult to spend $400 on any system and have any member here be impressed. I would agree go w/ two channel, skimp on the amp and universal DVD player and get the best speakers. If size matters and your still need to spend 300 - 400 range in my limited experiance Cambridge Sound works make some nice little systems. Good for the kitchen or if you need to hide something in the living room for background music. Its not going to rock your world or make you shut your eyes and smile but they do a decent job. Better than Bose and much cheaper.

I'm sure many here would consider my main system a small, cheap starter system and wouldn't even consider my secondary 'mensclub' setup listenable...

funny thing is, for me, they both are entertaining and a good start, for my wife it's way more 'junk' then she ever wanted in 'her' living room and just more clutter in a room that I won't let her 'decorate', lol

Mission is a UK manufacturer and has never had GREAT distribution out here. I cannot find any USA dealer of this setup except Parts Express. The system has an MSRP of 399 pounds sterling (about $650) and Parts Express have them for $199. I suspect they will thrash the Logitech THX 5.1 system I bought for $250 (marked down from about $400).

I currently have a Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system in the family room until I can launch into the stratosphere with a THX Ultra2 setup. My study has the Logitech system for my laptop.

Too bad I don't need a cheapie system because the Missions would probably be great for $200 (assuming you had enough power to drive those inefficient beasts - but Mission has NEVER had efficient speakers).