Which DACs - Denon 5800's or HDCD player's?

RossVTaylor

Hi all,

I posted this question on the Denon AVR-5800's unofficial site and, oddly, got absolutely no input. Maybe someone here has some experience with this? (said in a hopeful voice...)

This question was in reference a combination of a Denon AVR-5800 receiver and a newly-purchased Denon CDR-W1500 HDCD player (with all Klipsch speakers, of course!):

"There's another issue here, too. The use of the 1500's analog outputs instead of the digital outputs. Considering that the benefit of HDCD discs is "mild" (according to some posts I've read), does anyone have experience with a similar setup? Are the HDCD-capable DACs in the 1500 better than the non-HDCD DACs in my 5800? Which is better, in this circumstance - letting the 5800's DACs work with a digital input or decoding in the 1500 and using the analog signal?"

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, I'd appreciate reading them (in the form of a reply - I'm not psychic... ).

Ross

Ross,

WIth that setup seems like you'd be in an ideal situation to evaluate this and tell US which one is better. Can't you take the 1500's analog output into one of the analog inputs on the receiver, take the digital output into one of the digital inputs on the receiver, then cue up a CD, sit back on the couch and punch "input 1" - "input 4" - "input 1" - "input 4" and see which one sounds better? If this receiver lets you set the gain on the various inputs that would be a big help, otherwise whichever one is louder is likely to sound better...

Me, I think the CD player's HDCD decoder chip and filter is going to sound better than the receivers. biggrin.gif

Ray

Hi Ray!

Until today, I didn't have an HDCD disc. Well, today I tried out the "Time Out" HDCD by the Dabe Brubeck Quartet. I did as you suggested and found that I could tell absolutely no difference. I guess that answers my question there (at least on this one disc, anyway). Darn nice sounding CD, but not IMO worth spending extra bucks for an HDCD capable player. That's not why I bought this player/writer, but I do want it hooked up in the best-sounding manner. I guess I'll stick with the digital coax.

Thanks Ray,

Ross