KG 4.2's - but what amp should I buy??

DJStatik

Hi!

I bought a set of 2nd hand KG 4.2's about a yeat ago. I use them for monitoring, and i've learned that the speakers use transformers to obtain their high sensitivity. However, i can imagine that the transformers create a rather 'difficult' speaker to drive by an amplifier.

I heard a Denon Class A amplifier on my KG's but i didn't like the sound - i think the Denon wasn't 'fast' enough. I now have an ultra-crappy Kenwood hooked up (it's the only amp i hava at the moment)

Can anyone give me their thoughts on what amplifier matches these specific Klipsch KG 4.2 speakers?

What would be an adequate amount of power that make the speakers sound detailed in both the low, mid and high?

Cheers, Johan.

Johan,

KG 4.2's are pretty forgiving when it comes to amplification. You might want to stay away from Yamaha, only because I know that a lot of people comlain that they are a little more harsh sounding than some amps. I would say there is a little truth to that in my experience as well.

I don't know what your budget is, or availablity of equipment in the Netherlands, but you might try the following in respecive price ranges.

Low: Onkyo

Mid: Accurus, Parasound, Adcom

High: McIntosh, Conrad Johnson, Krell

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

Amp: Onkyo M-5000 (2ch.)

CD Player: Yamaha

Thanks for your feedback, jeffgeorge. The McIntosh / Conrad Johnson / Krell is way out of my leageu, but the Accurus, Parasound and Adcom might be - although i've never heard of these Smile.gif

I hear that Rotel and Arcam amps do a nice job as well, and so does the (too expensive types of) Marantz amps. Anyone have a thought on the Rotel and / or Arcam?

Slightly off-my-topic: Are there people from the Klipsch-company reading this message as well?

Cheers, Johan da Lowlands Guy Smile.gif

DJstatik, you may also want to look into the Audio Analogue line. They are an Italian company that makes affordable, musical sounding equipment. I used there Puccini 40wpc integrated with my LaScala's for several months with great sucess. They can be found used on sights like Audiogon.com in the SE version for $600 or less. If you are looking to stay away from harsh sounding electronics, this would be a good match. Check out soundstage.com for a comprehensive review. It is located in the archive section. I have also had good results with Rotel in the past. Good luck. Joe

Johan,

What was I thinking? Of course, Rotel is an amp that you should listen to. Very conservative on power ratings, and relatively warm for solid state. You might also consider NAD.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room: