Used mirrored alignment tool yesterday - legally blind today!

BillH2121

I received the mirrored cartridge alignment tool yesterday that I ordered from Turntable Basics. Although I was satisfied with using the cardboard tool that came with the HiFi News test album, I thought I would reinstall my Shure V15 III on my Scout TT while I'm waiting for my Benz ACE to be replaced and compare alignments. I followed the instructions that came with the mirrored tool. First is to align the tool with the center of the tonearm spindle. This is easy on the Scout because the tonearm rides on a sharp point. I just ran a straightedge along the line on the tool to the point at the base of the tonearm and used duct tape to immobilize the platter and tool. Then the hard part - actually seeing under the cartridge and finding the spot where the stylus must sit. Because of the "paralax" view on the mirror it was very difficult for me to find the spot on the mirror. However, after a while you get used to looking at the mirrored surface and can "see" better - its like looking at those prints where there are actually two things in the picture and you finally see the other thing after you look at it awhile. Anyway, after getting the cartridge aligned in the outer grid, I moved to the inner grid and - viola!!! - it also was aligned. Then I checked it against the HIFI News tool and it was aligned on both of those grids as well. I still think the HiFi News tool is a good one, but with the mirrored tool, you only have to get it right in the outer grid and if you've aligned the tool with the spindle correctly, the cartridge should be aligned. Also, the tool is good for getting an initial check on azimuth. I then use the HiFi album to fine tune. Although it is not the easiest tool to use, I recommend the mirrored tool - its only $20.

Glad you posted this Bill, a confusing subject and I'm glad for your

take on it. I got so confused dong mine, called in LarryC and

GaryMD to do mine.

Let us know if it improved what you are hearing and quited the snap, crackle and pops.

I think I had it dialed in pretty good using the HiFi tool in combination with the test record. But, while I didn't notice major differences as far as bass, mid and high response, I did notice that it seemed more focused and "tight" sounding. I'm constantly messing with VTA. I'm anxious to get my Benz ACE cartridge back and see if I can get it to sound better. I let the guy who I bought the ACE from install it and I know that he didn't use a straight edge to set alignment to the spindle. I really think that that's the important initial adjustment. That's the adjustment from which all the other adjustments "live or die". Again, although I think the mirrored tool is somewhat difficult to use initially, I think its a good one to use in comination with the HiFi tool. By the way Thebes, thanks for your "creative" posts - they bring enjoyment to many on this Board.