RF7s make buzzing sound

jzoz01

Currently I'm running the Rx7 setup and I seem to get a buzzing out of all channels. It's not noticable except during quite scenes or down time, but it drives me nuts. I've tried everything from fancy power cords (believing that it could be giving of emi or something to my interconnects) to z-series interconnects and a HTPS 7000 sig power conditioner. I'm really flustered. My next move is to try another amp, but I'm hessitant to go blow a bunch of cash on amps again.

Is this something I can fix or are the RF7s just too sensitive that it is kinda unavoidable?? HELP!!!

I have gotten that before you need to keep the RCA interconnects as far from the power leads as possible. When I hear it I shuffle the wires around in back a little and it goes away.

If you got a new halogen lamp somewhere in the house or new electrical appliance recently that may be causing it to.

Hopefully you are using all twisted pair type interconnects.

Hope you solve it.

That is kinda what I expect is the problem. I have a mess of wire back there. I'm using all heavily shielded power cords (except for dvd player) and z-series interconnects so I thought I would be ok, but I guess not. I'll try rerouting all my cabling tonight and see if it helps.

Do you know what a muting plug is? A muting plug is an RCA plug, with both wires tied together, or soldered. It effectively shorts out the input to the amplifier. You can make them out of an old set of interconnects.

Unplug everything from the amp except the speakers, and plug in the muting plugs. With the amp on, there should be absolutely no sound coming from the speakers.

Then remove the muting plugs. ( turn amp off for this step ) Next step is to connect just the preamp with interconnects, and mute the source selected (dvd, vcr, etc), by again using the muting plugs. If you have zero noise with the volume on the preamp up, congratulations, that is not your problem.

Connect your source components one at a time, and check for noise with the amplifier / preamp on and be sure to route the interconnects as far away from the AC power cords as possible, if they must cross do so at 90 degrees if possible. ( this minimizes the possibility of ac induced hum, 60 hz )

Most components have a small screw labelled ground or GND for short. This allows you the consumer to connect a small gauge wire to that terminal and connect your equipment together, minimizing the potential for a ground loop.

If you have CATV or satellite, this may be the culprit, but no not rule out any other equipment. In another person's case, the DVD player was the culprit in his system.

I hope that this helps you troubleshoot your problems.