KLF-20' set to large.

patmcnevi

Btw, even though your mains can play down that low it is typically better to always run the main speakers as small...The movies were recorded anticipating this setup and it's usually best to have a single sound source for the same information (aka, it's better to let your subwoofer handle the bass than to try and have 3 speakers handling it). Also, relieving your mains of low frequency duty should also improve the midrange (by reducing FMD).

After numerous tests done, over a several day period, I always preferred (ALL) my speakers set to large. I then decided to try them on "small" for 3 days to see if I could train my ears to like that setting. The visceral experience for movies just wasn't the same.

The first thing I noticed when I set them back to "large" was that in action movies, tanks, spacecraft, helicopters, targeted explosions, and gunfire sounded more directional and encompassing (i.e., vehicles circling around me or going from left to right). I also think music dvd's and DVD-A/SACD's sounded more dynamic. I also prefer the "Mains + sub," LFE setting, even though most posts I have read discourage this. I realize that my setup isn't your average Klipsch Reference HT [:D].

BTW, Am I the only one that thinks Patrick should take that RC-7 out of the closet and sell it and buy a KLF-C7? I can't imagine doing without a center channel for YEARS. The only reason I "upgraded" my KLF-20's/C7 in my main HT to RF-7's/RC-7 was because Ultimate Electronics gave me an offer I couldn't refuse when they were trying to steal me away from Tweeter (all I wanted was a RSW-15 [:|]) IMHO, going from Legends to Reference was more of a lateral move than a major upgrade.

The biggest reason behind setting to small has to do with the fact that the room has more influence over the lower frequencies than the speakers themselves....more often that not, having LFE information coming from every speaker actually results in LESS bass and a more jagged low frequency response....and this isn't even addressing all the time factor issues from reflections and so forth. The more sources for bass, the more jagged and less consistent the response will usually be. There are always exceptions to the rule and I'm sure personal preference will play a factor when conducting the comparisons. So I'm not trying to say any system automatically sounds bad when set to large....but I am saying the studio recorded the source material anticipating small speakers and you run much less risk of destructive interference.

One other note...I would argue that perhaps your bass management isn't ideal (not like the ideal ever exists anyway) and the extra localizeability you percieve is simply FMD from the mains that are being required to cover a much wider bandwidth. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is possible to achieve what you hear on your system without setting the mains to large provided we have full control over every other variable in the system. But since we don't have full control over everything, people report different results from the same settings (because all the other variables aren't the same).

ajcllc,

My room is 12x8x8. I know it is not a big room but the way I

think of it is that I have alot of head room with the speakers. Is the Sherbourn a warm amp?

tdkamerica,

I would rather have the phantom center and store the RC-7 because I

don't have enough space under or over my screen for the KLF-C7.

So I would rather keep the RC-7 until something happens to the KLF-20's

then I can easily upgrade to the RF-7's

Patrick,

I've had my Sherbourn for a week now, and I love it! It gives a warm sound and makes a big difference compared to my Denon. I also love the fact that it has seven single amps built into one unit with separate tranformers. It is like having seven mono blocks in one. (It feels like it too, because it weighs 115 lbs.!)

Andy

ajcllc,

I found a local dealer which is an hour away from me which is good. I am gonna email them next week to get prices of a 5/5210A 5-Channel Amplifier and the PT-7010A Pre Processor

are. I know my 20's can handel the 200 watts per channel but I

don't think my RS-7's can handel it because they are only 150 watts max

continous.

I did toe-in my 20's really good but I want to work on the placement a little better.

Patrick

It's always better to have more amplifier available than your speakers

can handle. An amp that clips is sure to break the speakers and it's

hard to detect before it happens. A speaker that clips rarely results

in damage (depending on how hard you clip it of course) and you can

often hear that you're over driving the speaker before you cause damage.

Besides, you'll be running at around 1 watt anyway (or less) so there's nothing to worry about.

I recelenty got into bass management on my receiver for some odd reason. I set the KLF-20's on large because they go down to 34 hZ and am just wondering if that was ok.

Patrick

First a few things...

Looking at the KLF-20 you know these larger speakers will reach with ease down to 40Hz.When set to full range they will also get signals below 40hz,and this will in turn tax the speakers more.

Forcing speakers to reproduce signals they are not designed to reproduce will only make them distort and above all tax the receiver's amplifier.Most receivers are quite limited when compared with serious stand alone amps.

If you had no subwoofer or have a lower quality one then using your mains FULL range is not an option.However if your subwoofer is capable of matching the KLF's output and able to reach below 30hz with ease then setting the mains and remaining speakers to SMALL is a better option.The receiver's amplifier will be less taxed as well as your mains.