RW12 Placement and cross over setting

Raybart

Hi, just new to the post.

Just bought the RF35s, RC35, RS35s, RB25s (rear), RW12 driven by my Onkyo TX-SR702.

Wondering if it is OK to have the sub behind me. I have a 19 x 12 room dedicated just for movies. Sitting at 16 from the screen.

Does the sub always need to be in front?

Also I have all speakers set on small with the cross over at 80 is that correct?

Thanks

It may be OK. Regarding the placement question, low frequencies are supposed to be "nondirectional," but in some circumstances (and according to some persons here) they may be. If the bass, especially in music, seems to be coming from behind and is unnatural sounding, then you may need to move it. I imagine it will be less of a problem with movie soundtracks and LFE effects.

Regarding the crossover setting, I don't know offhand how low the RF35s are supposed to go, but they should be able to handle low freqs, so you could try them set to "large" as well; whatever sounds best is the way to go, and you certainly won't hurt anything unless you are listening to ultra-low bass at earsplitting levels that overdrive small speakers. Set to large may let them blend with the sub better than "small." Also, I think that some receivers will not send frequencies below the crossover point to the front speakers if set to small even if you are listening in traditional stereo, and in stereo nothing will go to the sub either. You will have to know your receiver's owners manual well to figure this out. Someone who owns the RF35s could have a different and more experienced perspective. The smaller rears and surrounds will probably do best set to "small."

First it is best to have the subwoofer in front,midpoint along the front wall.This way you can cut it higher and not have the nasty localised audible effect.

The subwoofer should never be found,by ear.It should blend with the mains and sourrounds.Disapear,only reinforce what the mains cannot provide,free them from stress of deep bass reproduction.

If your subwoofer is cut below 60Hz it can be placed pretty much where you want as long as the bass where you sit is natural and plenty.For large mains and with a more feature packed receiver or pre/pro you can cut the sub at 50 even 40Hz.Subwoofers cut this low first should be capable of a solid 20Hz output.At this requency you cannot have boom(most often causing listening fatigue).

I would cut the SW12 at 80Hz and set it along side the front wall.Should sound/blend best with your mains.With RF35's you could cut the sub at 60hz is your Onkyo has variable sub Fr. points.

With the center and sourrounds you use,leave them set to "SMALL".As they do not handle deep bass well,and this would only put a strain on your amp for nothing.Read wasted frequency range.And you should know all receivers save a few have a very limited power supply that is best served driving only the mains in full range or limited range(eg. set to 60 or 80Hz).Let the sub work the deep bass.

Thanks fellow Canadian.

Yes I can adjust the frequency on the fronts by changing them to "large" and can move the crossover in 20 increments from 80 (default) down to 60. The 35s are rated at 37 so am I OK at 60?

If I have the mains down to 60 can the sub go in behind the listening position or keep it in front?

Ray from Calgary[:)]

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I'm not an expert. I have a big room. I have my RW-12 in the back,in the corner. The human ear can't pick up where the bass is coming from, range 10-15ft. I can sit on my couch and have a movie like Star Wars or Pearl Harbor in and not be able to tell where its coming from. Just check with you friends next door,cause you will rock your house. My house shakes. the door knobs, cabinet doors, wall's. You are going to love your RW-12. Just don't get all hung up on where the placement has to be. Just put it, and enjoy. Music sound great, I play a lot of blues and smooth jazz. The Cool thing about the RW-12 is the dial on the side, for the Volume. I have my Phase Control set on like 90, and my cross over control 100. I have all 35's all the way around. They sound so good with the RW-12. You will just have to play with it. Put in a few different kinds of music. Have fun and enjoy, I know you will. You will be listening to all your music over again. It just sounds so much better now. The way it was meant to be herd.....Dan.

Oh I forgot to tell you, Set the 35's on large, and 25's on medium. If your 16 ft from the screen, The sub will be just fine any ware. I just put the sub in the corner,back and to the side of the couch. You don't see it, and can't tell where the sound is coming from. If you had 15's that's on small. Have fun, Also get a good Sub-woofer cable, I think I had to get a 25 ft, so I could go through the floor, under the basement and back up. I think I picked up a Monster Sub cable for around $160.00. I have (2) RS-35 in front and (2) in the back. And (2) RF-35,in front. The 35's just move so freely. It doesn't take much to move them. Thay are great speakers. Klipsch ROCK's....Dan.