Firewall follow-up

geekysteve

I've been doing a lot of personal firewall research lately...found a great article on firewall comparisons.

Check out:

http://www.pcworld.com/heres_how/article/0,1400,17759,00.html

On a side note, I purchased a Linksys 4-port Etherfast Cable/DSL Router today (ordered it from Outpost at 8:00am, arrived at 4:30pm - unbelievable), and it rocks!!!

I turned off Zonealarm, and went to www.grc.com and did the "Shields UP!" and "Probe my Ports" test- everything turned-up stealth! That router seems to do a good job on it's own.

I've also been trying to "attack" myself- using a laptop on a dial-up connection, trying to scan my home network with eeye, nmap, and retina- nothing is appearing to be open.

My last test will include some BO2K testing, without a software firewall program running- if my Linksys protects me from that, I'll be 150% sold on it.

All this great stuff for only $159.95 ($104.95 for the 1 port version)...hehehe

------------------

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

-- Qui Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode One

Try the world's greatest search engine: www.google.com

Hate to sound like a broken record, but you can't go wrong.

I'm confident about my test results- the router blocks BO2K, and all of the 'traditional' ports appear to be stealth.

I can't say enough good things about this router- I've had great luck with it so far. Easy to set-up, easy to network with, great protection, and a low price.

Jamus, you won't be disappointed!

------------------

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

-- Qui Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode One

Try the world's greatest search engine: www.google.com

I gotta put my vote in for Network Ice's Black Ice.

Black Ice was first mentioned in "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. It was a firewall that shot back at hackers trying to penetrate it.

Black Ice not only blocks, but it tells me who was doing what, when. I've even sent in supporting doc to ISPs telling them who amoung their customers are doing these bad things. ISPs are quite willing to help out by cancelling accounts or whatever to prevent that kind of activity.

Oh, and grc.com thinks I'm in total stealth mode, too.

Couple that with the DSL router that does NAT so that my PC and stuff is 10.x.x.x, and no one can even route to my PC, let alone hack it.