A Few "Interesting" Speakers

D-MAN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tannoy "Autograph" cabinet - and you thought the Khorn was complicated?! This even makes a Hartsfield seem within reason.

The British love their back-loaded horns. I've never heard one. Maybe there is something to it, though... one of my concerns is why take a chance on that large of a cabinet for a back-loaded design when we all know EXACTLY what a front-loaded design does in the same amount of floor space.

I've always been wary of BL horns for that reason. Perhaps if they were more plentiful in the US, I would have heard one. Why this didn;t catch on here I don't know for sure...

post-13458-13819283612914_thumb.jpg

i heard that particular design, maybe 10 years ago ...

it wasn't all that impressive

i think the driver was a Red...

just like the 604x ..

when driven hard with modern music, it suffered from a high amount of IM

the intent probably was to gain all the efficiency they could by horn loading the back of the woof

you certainly can't horn load / fold using a concentric, other than an A-7 design ...

i heard that particular design, maybe 10 years ago ...

it wasn't all that impressive

i think the driver was a Red...

just like the 604x ..

when driven hard with modern music, it suffered from a high amount of IM

the intent probably was to gain all the efficiency they could by horn loading the back of the woof

you certainly can't horn load / fold using a concentric, other than an A-7 design ...

That's too bad - I was wondering if it would be worth the work. Evidently not. But it looks pretty cool anyway! It figures the IM is out of hand, two unbalanced. In the "old days" there was a tendancy to damp the front of the cone with a terminated air column and a horn at the rear, to keep things more "aligned". I think the required overall cabinet size that entailed killed them off, too.

A shorter rear-horn might lessen the IM to a reasonable degree. There is the complexity question again - why choose extended LF response over audible distortion? I suspect the answer might be low power handling capability - perhaps using stock components, it just doesn't get loud enough to kick the distortion up to an audible amount. Other than that, I don't know...

DM

That IS a TAD wood horn and driver - they guy said they were TAD's, they look like TADS - what else do you need? The mounting flange is questionable as it doesn't show in the TAD web pic (which is clearly cropped anyway), but who knows - not enough evidence to go either way on that. TAD no longer makes them anyway, so who knows how many derivations have occured and what version is pictured on the TAD webpage. Could be a clone, but then, based on the quality of cabinet work and equipment in the above speaker pic, why? Certainly could afford the genuine article, agreed? So why would the owner lie about it? Also why would he keep the horns/drivers if they were just clones? Clearly could make more or easily afford to have them made while increasing the salability of the speakers being sold. THINK ABOUT IT!

*** THIS ITEM IS DISCONTINUED ***

The TAD TH-4001 is a stabilized dispersion horn designed specifically for use with the TD-4001 high-frequency driver. It allows you to exploit the wide frequency response of this unit, providing excellent dispersion of all frequencies, including high frequencies above 10kHz, a feat rarely achieved by large horns. The dispersion pattern is optimized, based on our measurements of actual room acoustics. As a result, the entire output of the TD-4001 is uniformly distributed over a large area. High resolution is another result of our acoustic engineering. The horn is made of genuine maple, for clean, rich, natural sound.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4217_37181,00.html

DM

post-13458-13819283641132_thumb.jpg