Sony receiver matrix mode

jdm56

Does anyone have any experience with a Sony/Sony ES receiver that has a matrixed multichannel mode? I noticed the new STR-DA5ES has a mode called "six-channel matrix", or something like that, for playing two-channel material back through six. I was curious as to how that would sound with two-channel music, which of course, makes up the vast bulk of my collection.

I know some of the Denon receivers seem to have a very good music mode for two-channel, according to the mags and many of the posters here at the klipsch bb. Perhaps the new Sony's are comparable in that respect.

I'm not talking about any of those freaked out DSP modes, either. I'm looking for a simple summed L+R center, and a delayed, out of phase signal sent to the surrounds.

------------------

JDMcCall

having just upgraded the processor in my 777es, i can tell you, for sure, that 'virtual matrix 6.1' is for dolby digital ex (6.1) and dts-es (6.1) surround sound. this adds a simulated rear center speaker with impressive results!!for music (cds), i usually-90%-listen in stereo or a.f.d. (which is stereo+sub). the sony music surround i prefer is 'live house'. it has the most 'natural' sound closest to stereo. integra by onkyo has sveral receivers w/5-ch stereo, and dolby pro logic 2-music/ which is 5 full range distinct channels. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

AVMAN,

Thanks for the input. It's hard for even an audio hound like me to keep up on these rapidly evolving surround formats and channel multiplication.

I am a bit of a Sony ES fan though, and am pretty interested in that new STR-DA5ES. I was hoping it would have a really good mode for playing two-channel music through a 5.1 or 6.1 channel set-up. Perhaps Dolby Pro Logic II would be the best.

I've got an ancient Sony TA-E1000ES A/V pre-amp that I used to use with music, but I finally gave up on it as none of the surround modes really sounded good with typical studio recordings. Some did work very well with classical music. In any event, I finally retired it to the family room A/V set-up, and went back to a "traditional" (non A/V) Sony TA-F606ES integrated amp for my music rig. But now, SACD beckons on the horizon, but of course it will take years to amass much of an SACD music collection; hence the interest in surround processing for two-channel.

------------------

JDMcCall

I too, am using an older Sony digital preamp, the 2000ESD (w/ a Rotel 985 amp). I am NOT too sure exactly what the differences are with it and the 1000ESD. I started with the Theater II preset(which is some DSP mods fed into the Prologic decoder) and made very small adjustments (parametric eq of the center, small increased volume to the rear channels, and maybe some other playing around). I tied to make sure that when I A/B'd the setup with 'Source Direct' vocal timbre remained unchanged (the 'Surround' (ProLogic) preset altered vocal timbre/location way TOO much). I use this setting exclusively for music and the 'Surround' setup for movies. I am more than pleasantly content with the results.

one of the reasons i refer to integra after talking about my es receiver is that es has changed after the model year my 777 was made (about 1 1/2 yr.old)it weighs 62 lbs. and is made in japan, the 555es is 'fabrique en malaise' and weighs 48 lbs. there are some guys on the bb i go to looking at the strda-5es, but i don't beleive it has any more balls than the 555, while the integra dtr 9.1-while pricey-is an animal!(and upgradeable!) if you're curious about integra go to: www.integrahometheater and take a look. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Thanks jerohm, for the input, and again, AVman for the info.

Yes, the Integra stuff does appear to be built like the proverbial battleship. Probably costs about as much, too!

What I'd really like is an audio only, multi-channel pre-amp, but nobody seems to make one yet. Hence the interest in A/V receivers. That seems to be where the action is, at least on the affordable level. Example: The new Sony ES A/V receivers offer DPL-II, multi-channel analog inputs, and 6.1 channel outputs; Their A/V pre/pro does not. Although I'm sure it's due for a major upgrade soon.

------------------

JDMcCall