Repairing receiver and amplifier

JeffDurbin

I have two potential repair jobs and I woudl like to get some input from some serious hobbyists before proceeding.

My old NAD integrated amp got tossed about during the Northridge earthquake and the volume knob got damaged where it mounts to the circuit board. It looked like it could be repaired with a bit of solder so I went out and bought some and a soldering gun but I quickly realized I had no talent for it and I went out and bought a Nakamichi AV300 receiver instead.

After a few years, I got some sense and upgraded from the ProLogic Nak to the Dolby Digital HK AVR85. I have been pretty happy with it. At some point, the volume knob (what is it with knobs?) got loose. It still works but it feels loose and jiggly. I opened it up and it looks like the 'board' that the knob is attached to has loosened from the board it is attached to. I tried to tighten them up without breaking anything (which is easy for me to do) but I still have the problem.

I now have a Fosgate FAP-T1+ pre-amp and I am searching for a power amp.

I would like to clear out the old equipment either on eBay or as gifts to worthy family members. What's the best way to go about fixing some of this stuff? Do I ship it to the manufacturer's designated repair facility and get stuck paying more to fix them than they are worth or can I take them to an independent electronics repair place? Do they even exist anymore?

You guys sound like you do this stuff for fun so I am interested in finding out if the old-fashioned electronics-tinkering geniuses are still out there doing business (at a reasonable price).

Thanks!