Resonating cabinet fix... done simple

nyc900m

I know I'm a bit late on this for some, but may help in some present cabinet issues. I recently purchase a pair of CF3's and wound up with horrible sound coming from one of the cabinets. I felt and pressed the baby up in the rear and yeP she was a little loose.. I'm pretty handy, so I laid the cabinet down on a small table so that I could work on it comfortably.. And I say comfortably because they're not light and needed to work on them without breaking them or myself.

The rear panel was not glued correctly by the factory.. the factory shot a small and straight bead of some sort of glue that was not in the corner of the interior where it might have worked. But it wasn't in the right place or enough glue in my opinion.. SOOOooooo:

this is what I've done......

I had to reach into my past and come up with a fix that would not involve screws or nails, and I also thought the units could use a visual update...

Can you say... Paper Mache.... What you need: 1 quart of Elmer's, Carpenter's Wood Glue, A decent sized bushie paint brush, and 1 pair of old denim jeans....

Place the glue in a small container and put it inside the cabinet so that the glue never touches the outside of the cabinet. Brush the clue into all corners and use a good amount.. make sure you get the entire back panel areas, in fact I put glue on all connecting areas... It sounds messy but wasn't... the cabinets are big enough to work in and doesn't take too much time....

After glueing... I cut up the denim so that I had strips measuring about 6 to 8" by 2"... I placed and pushed these strips onto the glued areas... making sure I had no loose ends. Denim did not have to be soaked with glue before placing because I already put down enough glue... I let this sit for 2 days so that I would not TorQue the units at all and give them an excuse to ever loosen up again.... I know that these cabinets will out live many generations to come...

This wasn't fun, but it had to be done..

Now before I put all the drivers, port tubes, and grill nobbies back in.... I sanded the entire cabinet with 220 paper...(not the back panel) I sprayed the front with White Krylon and brushed on 2 coats of white primer and then brushed on 2 coats of oil based paint on sides and top... (not the rear panel.. it stays black). WWWhhhhaaaa LAa.....

After all is said and done..... there is no longer a problem in any, I say again ANY respect. And now the 10 year old puppies look nice, rreeeealllll nice in fact...

Thanks for hangin out on here and reading my crap....

PS.. I've got some old JBL L200t3's in the closet.... they're next... ... later folks. Ian in nyc....

post-19781-13819276030706_thumb.jpg

Greetings and thank you. I actually thought about adhesive caulk, but here's why I didn't. Once I opened the cabinets I didn't find the usual particle board, so I knew I could use something that would flow and soak into areas and not worry too much about wood swell. The s200 or s2000 adhesive caulk would not have soaked the wood and denim like the wood clue. Or lets say if I did use the caulk I'm sure I would have make it work. But it was a little easier with a 2 inch wide brush vs. a caulk gun. I removed the crossover in the 1st cabinet, but didn't bother in the second.. I just covered the second...

Once done, I put the speakers back in there place and turned the system on... I notice a difference in the speakers sound... All speaker cabinets resonate in some small way.. but because I went over board glueing all corners (back, top, bottom, and fronts panels) .... I believe I eliminated even normal vibrations that are exceptable from factory. Let me say that I can now turn the bass up even more and the sound is much tighter and cleaner... these things are like army tank.... mmmmmm... good idea.. does anybody have any army tank tracks I could use as speaker stands...LOL

I know I'm now going crazy, but once you start a project everything else looks like it could be the next... for instance.... I'm now working on a small pair of speakers.... there gonna be SunKists orange..... my cats on deck too... mmmm he'll be camo green....lol ok... I'm gonna go finish sanding... later guys and thanks for digging what I've done so far... hey,, anyone in NYC I'll do your too.... hehehehe... ian....