from DURABRAND HTIB TO KLIPSCH and beyond...the once and future binge

kramskoi

I don't know what started this all. But one day in September 2005, i forget which one, i started on this escalating audio fetish. I guess it was my old 2100 altec lansing multimedia system frying itself and my (yes i'm gonna say it) WalMart Durabrand 100 watt HTIB system doing the same, that's prompted the current binge. I started with a few sub-satellite systems from Wal-mart of course and then i started learning about test tones and subwoofer performance. I downloaded true RTA and the rest is history. In the space of 2 months, i've gone through two altec lansing systems, the Klipsch promedia 2.1 THX, an M&K mx-70 (which i still use) and of course the new IFI system. If i'd listened to "theEAR" and paid more attention to his posts, i could've saved myself about 1000.00. I'm kicking myself and still not satisfied. Does this ever end? I thought at first, that a good 2.1 system would be sufficient but after reading about the Klipsch THX ultra2 system i'm going to make a plunge for some respectable sound. I'm 36 and have never owned any decent stereo/theater equipment but that is about to change. I've decided, with much anguish, on the HSU vtf-2 mk 2 sub (SVS pb-10 is still a thought), Klipsch SB-2's for mains, SB-1's for surround and the acoustech HT-65 for center. I know...i've sinned against philedom with the HT-65, but it matches the frequency response, driver and horn size of the mains. ON PAPER it's sensitivity is 96 dB and since i practically stole it off of EBAY, i thought i'd give it a listen. Hopefully it's not as bad as the forum is saying. Everyone likes to think they're getting a deal right? Well to amend for the Acoustech debacle, i'm going to go with the Yamaha rx-v657 for it's power, clarity and parametric features. Maybe i can get the HT-65 to sound okay with it. I really wanted to go with the Reference line but the RB-15 got bad reviews for sound coloration on stereophile. I'm not sure about the RB-25. It plays 5Hz lower than the SB-2 and is rated a little less at 75 watts. Aside for +1dB in efficiency and a stiffer cone i tried to justify the extra 75.00 vs. other needs. This whole system is going to brush 2000.00 by the time i'm through and it's more than i've EVER spent at one time. My best friend gave me a funny look when i told him what the final price would be. He has a JVC TH-C5 1002 watt HTIB and i can't quell the need to try and show him up. Hopefully, this little project will satisfy me until i can get into the RB-35/75 class. And maybe by then, i will have shed my issues with 12-inch drivers (i really like the 12-inch line of SVS subs). There are NO places where i can audition either SVS or HSU. I welcome any recommendations, observations, criticisms and talking points.

K,

Welcome to Klipsch. You did the same journey we did , just faster i think!

This is assuming your present center speaker does not work out!

If you have the SB2 speakers (older synergy version), try to find a C-1 for your center channel.

If you have the New Version B2 speaker, go with the C2 Center.

Good choice on your receiver! Post some Pictures and observation please- I am curious of

your feeings on the set up and sound!

Lastly- if you can afford to -Sell your Synergy speakers and jump straight into the RB 75 series!

Welcome to the madness. It seems to never end.

You can stop when you get to RF7.

Michael

That's what I said too ... but it didn't stop until I had an all-Heritage HT, Klipschorns and Belle across the front. Hell, we had to find a house with a good room when we went house shopping earlier this year.

Sickness, indeed.

Run AWAY RUN AWAY!!

Too late[;)] you've been bit[:D] It normally starts out as "I will

upgrade just this one thing" and before you know it you have spent

THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS that you never intended to [:$] but the disease

goes on and you buy more and MORE and before long you are spending

hours a day here with the sick in a vain effort to convince yourself

that you are normal and the rest of the world just hasn't discovered

what good sound is and that they would shurley follow your footsteps if

they only knew[;)]

Welcome to the sickness! Enjoy, it is never too late to invest in yourself and the awesome sound of Klipsch[:D][:D][:D]

thx to all who post(ed). Not sure about the RF-7 because i'm a bookshelf type i

guess. I'm in lOvE with the THX Ultra2 setup! This system oozes -"I mean business!"

and i much prefer the cinematic, black look of the mains and surrounds. My girlfriend

likes the KS-525 and it's angles. The Ultra2 is what put me on the path, and i have to

admit that my heart sank when i discovered how much each component costs. Hey,

maybe i'll win the lottery eh?. Speaking of the ultra2...here's a laugh. There is a

KL525 being sold on Ebay and someone made a 70.00 offer to the seller, who

politely and with much wit, declined. I've seen the newer, prettier synergy3's at best

buy but i opted for the minimal "cinematic black" of the previous edition...plus, i got all

5 components for 500.00 with no shipping charge but with factory authorization. I

REALLY wanted to get the HSU sub first, but after discovering DTS sound with my

new audigy2 zs, i feel like i'm missing out with the 2.1 setup. This little pcmia card

surprises me everyday. I'm currently running the dvd toslink to my soundcard and the

IFI system with the sub stacked on top of the m&k mx-70 (i was enamored with this

little push-pull dual-8 until i ran it though trueRTA, ugh!). I know this is an unorthodox

mix but it's quite loud and clean. The after shocks of the depth charge scene from U-

571 in DTS came off rather well. And jurassic3 was quite dynamic. I think i have

enough spl, just not enough extension. My girlfriend has an RCA rt2280/500 watt

receiver but i'm wary of using it with the new system. Hokey watt ratings from too

many manufacturers. Why is this? My friends 1002 watt JVC htib is rated 167w/ch @

3 ohms @ 10%THD @ 1kHz???? The RCA is rated 80w X 5 @ 8 ohms, 0.9% THD

@ the "nefarious" 1kHz frequency. I'm wondering if i can expect at least 50w clean

power? It's bandwith response is a rather embarrassing 40Hz on the bottom end, so

it's a good thing i have powered subs. I would only use its 6 ch. in function because it

only has dolby digital (ugh!). I can use it to amplify though. I thought about just buying

a good multichannel power amp but needless to say, it is cost prohibitive. If i can get

some decent sound from the RCA, i'll get the sub next followed by the yamaha. If

not, i guess the sub will have to wait. But regardless, i should wrap this all up by the

end of January. I'll have all 5 separates by next wed. so then i can start my

experimentations. Well thanks everyone and "Ultra2 4-ever"...