New RF-3 cross-over ? or.......

Coolin

Hello forum members,

First of all i must say i love this forum for all of the experts that come here to share their knowlege to all who are interested. I am not an active member but i have read many many post over the last year since i got my first pair of Klipsch RF-3s. I wish a had found Klipsch earlier..........i cant keep my feet stil, and my one year old daughter "dances" to every new rythem that comes after another!

I love them very much, but as everyone knows our ears are always evolving and they always manage to find a weak spot in any music chain.

I have the older type 1 RF-3 speakers so i have the posibility to upgrade the wires and and i have read that the internal stuffing has been changed/added. Does anyone have any info on how this is done? I think a little more near (there is no stuffing in the bottom third now) the bottom might help.

I would like to try to improve my RF-3 cross-overs. I have included a picture of my x-over so anyone familiar with these componets can give advice to wheather it is worthwhile or not. I know the right componets can make a big diference to the sound. I read here the the smaller inductors on the ALK crosovers for the K-Horn / LaScala were fitted with Lits-wire instead of solid for more definition in the sound. My drivers might not be capable of the same definition but i think they are very detailed already, so i am wondering if this might not improve the sound as well? I know i will never get the same sound as mabey the RF-7 but am hoping i can get more detail and a tighter sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

The largest inducter (0.75 mHy) has a laminated core (metal plates). I dont know if an air version would sound better, I know this is also used in elektrostatic speakers to amplify the voltage. the two smaller ones have dont have any value iether. If i rotate one of them so they their fields dont influence each other should help as well.

As you can see the largest capaciter is 18 uFd. This big one is glued on top of another "flat type" like the other red one on the left. The other two have no value on them or i would have to break the glue fixing to check this better. The dont look like they are top notch brands (again no marking) but i could be wrong.

Its too bad Al Klappenberger doesnt have any RF-3's to play with, im sure he could make these sound much better.

Anyway thanks to all who can help.

Coolin