Onkyo DV-S939 Any comments? Anyone have it?

SlaggBot

Hey, it's me again. After doing some more research. I think I will look into dropping one of the extra SVS Ultra subs, to just the one SVS Ultra with the amp. This would free up another $1000 so that I can get the Onkyo SV-S939. Two of the subs in the house we are renting now would be major overkill anyway!

I have read many reviews that say the Pioneer DV444 that my wife got me, is basically junk. The progressive scan on it blows. Its not even real progressive scan, its just a line doubler, or, something to that effect. Also, since the best Onkyo DVD player (54Mhz/10 DAC, as apposed to Denons 27mhz/10 DAC),looks to be far better than the best Denon DVD player, that would swing my vote around to the Onkyo TX-989 Reciever. The Onkyo also has a speacial media connection to the DV-S939 too I believe. If I was to blow as much as $1200 or so on the DVD player, it would ease my mind alot better to have the Onkyo Reciever. I like keeping things the same brand whenever I can.

Anyway, thoughts on this change? Good? or Bad? I also am planning getting the Panasonic TU-HDS20 Decoder Box as well. Hopefully next month. I am switching Satalite providers from Dish Network to Direct TV. Direct TV of course has the Sports paks (NFL and NHL are being hooked up as of Sat! Woo Hoo!) and they seem to have much better support of HDTV than DISH, so, I'm done with Echostar. Considering the TV I'm getting in NOV, the Sony Vega 36inch XBR450, It is gonna be sweet to finally check out HDTV. I figure, it would be worth it to spend the extra money on the best posible DVD player so I can enjoy it on my new TV.

Is this a good trade? The extra overwhelming bass for a top of the line DVD player? Any other sugguestions. This is why I like having a few months to plan, that way I work over every possible config to get the best possible setup I can get for my money.

Adam