Panasonic plasma and HDMI hookup questions

SteelerFan

I bought my Dad an upscaling DVD player for Christmas to go with the new Panny plasma he bought himself and was also going to buy him a subwoofer since he doesn't have one. My plans have changed since I was reading the directions on his old Kenwood receiver and discovered it is pro-logic only and does not even have a subwoofer out. So now I'm planning on buying him a new receiver and giving him my old Yamaha subwoofer instead.

He has a very small audio cabinet, so small that he can't fit his DVD player in it, he has to keep it on a seperate table and has always hated that arrangement. To fix that I plan on buying one of the Panasonic digital receivers, their small size will enable him to put the DVD player in the cabinet with the rest of the equipment.

I'd like to get him the SA-XR50 receiver, it's the right price but doesn't have an HDMI connection so I'd have to hook the DVD player to the TV via the HDMI connection and then hook up a coax digital cable to the the receiver for the audio. Would that work? Or would it be better to buy the Panasonic SA-XR70 that does support HDMI? I believe it upscales also, does that make the upscaler in the DVD player I just bought useless? The XR-70 is alot more expensive but I'm thinking I could also use the HDMI connection from his HD cable box that way.

My own TV doesn't have HDMI and I don't know much about this stuff. What would be the best way to go?

How much more expensive is the SA-XR70? The reason I ask is that it sounds like the SA-XR50 would work great, but then you can only use 1 HDMI source. I'm in the same boat. TV has 1 input and SAT receiver and DVD player both have HDMI. I thought about getting an HDMI Switch box for $250 from RAM electronics. But for now I'm using HDMI from my SAT box because I watch it more than the DVD. My Denon 2910 has awesome analog conversion and the Component connection is still phenominal. You could do the same and may not notice the difference between HDMI and component. It depends on the quality of your DVD player. Also if the DVD upscales, that's another reason you don't need the more expensive receiver. Hope I helped, good luck to you.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. The XR70 lists for $200 more than the XR50 but online I don't think the 70 is all that much more than the 50. However, I'm already well over my budget and I still have interconnects to buy. Right now I'm leaning toward the XR50 or actually I think the XR55 is the newer model. Since I've already bought the Sony DVD player that upconverts I'll just hook up the HDMI from it to the TV and then run a coax digital cable to the receiver for sound. For the HDTV cable box I'll use component cables. He only ever uses the receiver for DVD's anyway, he doesn't like to bother with it when he 's just watching cable TV.