Sound, then none

Prophetnoise

I've done some searching around the board but havent found anything on this.

I have 2 KSF 8.5s. I've had them for a while but i haven't used them in a long time. They stayed home while i was in college, and then when i graduated and moved out; then when i moved to New Orleans they stayed in New York.

I've since moved to Portland and finally am reunited with my KSFs, but here's the thing: The last i remembered, one was out of service. I unpacked them, tested them, and they bothe worked. Odd, but i wasn't complaining. They played for a little while, and then one of the 8" woofers just kinda crapped out. It was perfectly clear, then it cackled/cut in and out, and now no sound is coming through. The horn is working, and the other tower is working, but that one woofer has no sound coming out.

What would cause this? Is this just a loose/dirty connection? Is this easily fixable?

I'm an audio engineer by trade/schooling, but consumer audio is another world to me. I'm sure some of it translates over, but i'm more on the other end of the music world. But fixing it and detail explanations wouldnt (shouldn't) be beyond me.

Please, any help would be greatly apreciated before i take the tower apart and start prodding where i shouldn't be.

EDITED HERE

Ok, so i've isolated the problem. I've got everything laid out on the floor, out of the cabinet, and connected. I pressed play and poked around. . .When i tapped on the braided soft wire that goes between the connector and the actual cone of the woofer, it kicked back in and started playing. Upon closer inspection nothing seems wrong with it.

How screwed does this make me?

Thanks for the encouragement and he nudge to prod. I traced it to a wire that was pinched between the cab and the back of the speaker. Spliced the wire and . . . .holy sh**. . . . there was so much music my ears were missing for so many years. These are right up on par with my studio monitors that i use for recording. Only louder, and playing my CDs.

Thanks again