a car amp works surprisingly good...

bmxfelon420

Yes, i know, totally different caliber of setup than what most of you have, but since my poor poor reciever broke, i decided to hook the front channels up to the car amp that was previously powering my sub (coustic 160w, hooked to a 250w at PC psu). At first it sounded horrible, but i had wires all ghetto twisted together, and stuff so it was always loose and crappy sounding. The other week i got enough motivation to tear the box down and rewire it correctly (i soldered the power and ground, and cut most of the extra wires out of the psu)

Now it sounds much clearer, and less noisy, though still a little noisy since my tv isnt the best source. For such a small amp, powering speakers that are supposed to be 150w a piece is being handled surprisingly well. I wish i could hook it straight to the dvd player, but since i have no volume control i cant really do it. Should i go for a ghetto inline potentiometer thing, or is there some sort of little volume pod i can make? The tv is a crappy source unit, and it is handicapping the whole setup more than it already is.

Note that this is just temporary until i get a new reciever. Hopefully soon, because i want to hook it up better than before.

Also, does anyone have experience using a car battery to power an amp indoors, and trickle charging it 24/7? (sorry for the ghettoness) I have this 1900w amp that i could use to power my sub, since its 8 ohms (1900/2/turning the amp waay down= should work!) and i wanted to try it. Dont know where i am going to get the charger, but ill see. I might just break down and go buy that 200w amp from parts express and do it that way, but i need money first and i havent decided which would be cheaper.

Any suggestions? Any way to make my tv less noisy? I already got a new cable to go from the tv to the amp, and it helped a bit, so how do i decrease noise further? Is it strictly the TV, or could there be other factors?

Also, does anyone have experience using a car battery to power an amp indoors, and trickle charging it 24/7? (sorry for the ghettoness) I have this 1900w amp that i could use to power my sub, since its 8 ohms (1900/2/turning the amp waay down= should work!) and i wanted to try it. Dont know where i am going to get the charger, but ill see. I might just break down and go buy that 200w amp from parts express and do it that way, but i need money first and i havent decided which would be cheaper.

Could you?

Yes... a college friend did this using what (I believe) was a deep cycle battery. It was the type of battery used in boats to power trolling motors. Those batteries are designed for repeated charging and draining... I always wondered about the environmental factors - like what if your battery leaked its acid or what type of fumes (if any) you'll encounter during this process.

Should you?

I wouldn't spend the money trying to make the 12V stuff work in a 115V environment. In the long run, you'll spend about the same amount of $$$, it will not work as well, and it won't look at good.

Using your TV as a source as you described can only result in headaches. Find a used Denon or Yamaha with a sub out, get a dedicated amp for your sub and don't look back.

no real reason to use a battery. They are expensive, contain sulfuric acid, heavy etc. Normal car batteries are only designed to de charge a little bit when starting the engine, and run fully charged most of the time. Constantly draining and recharging a regular car batttery is not good. As a previous post said, to do this you need a deep discharge battery for marine or other use. but those are expensive. If you really want to use your car amp indoors, by a 12 volt supply, but to be honest a good one will be as expensive as buying a cheap amp. Look on ebay for some cheap stereo amps!