new Bob Carver subs

jdm56

I saw in my new Audio Advisor catalog three new subs from Bob. All tiny, all powerful, and all having about a foot of driver travel...and reasonably priced. -Must be made in Asia.

I guess it's OK to mention them here. SVS certainly gets enough love. Besides, Klipsch doesn't make anything in the terrible-tot sub category, do they? (or should that be, sub "sub category"?)

Doug,

Looking at your profile. Is there supposed to be an active link, showing your

basement system? How do you like you ADM's?

Sorry, no active link. I just underlined the heading for no particular reason other than to cause confusion and perhaps mass hysteria![:D]

So far, I am thrilled with the little ADS speakers. I haven't had much chance to use them with the subs, because of my receiver being in the shop since back in October, but I feel they are really more accurate above 100 Hz than the B&W 703's they replaced. They are built like tanks, and the small size makes them very adaptable to different rooms and set-ups, which works well for me cause I'm always changing something![*-)] I think I may have them a good, long while.[A] ...or at least, I intend to!

One interesting aspect of a small acoustic suspension design is how much bass you can coax from them with very careful placement close to room boundaries. Even a few inches can make the difference between boomy bass with lousy imaging, and very good bass (for their size) with outstanding imaging. I suppose the way good acoustic suspension bass rolls off slowly and smoothly makes the speaker/room interaction even more important than with designs that roll off sharply. --just a thought anyway.[8-|] Whatever, it's really kind of odd to hear such good, clean bass down to 50 Hz or so coming from a tiny speaker with a pair of 5 1/4" woofers. Placed out in the room, the bass pretty much signs off at about 100Hz, but with them near the front wall but a couple of feet out from the side walls, they are pretty darned flat down another octave or so. In fact, if I put'em too close to the corners, the bass and lower mids get a bit heavy.

jdm56 , did I miss something, what new subs? I went to both audioadvisor.com and sunfire.com and found nothing. Audio Advisor doesn't even carry Sunfire?Hmm...

scp53

These are NOT Sunfire subs. They are in the latest Audio Advisor catalog, which I received this past week, page 75. They are listed as "Bob Carver Dominator Subs". There are three models: D-12 (1000W / 12"); D-10 (1000W / 10"), and the D-8 (1000W / 8"). Prices are $849, $749 and $599 respectively. Each model is a pefect cube, with the D12 measuring 13.5" per side, the D10 11.5" and the D8 9.75". VERY interesting designs that would appear to offer high value in a compact, high-performance sub.

I don't know, but I would guess these are designed by Bob and built in the Far East. --just a hunch.

Again, I'm a bit uncomfortable mentioning these on Klipsch's forum, but unless I'm mistaken, Klipsch has not offered a compact, high-performance sub since the ill-fated LF series. So, there is no direct competition, strictly speaking.[:-*]

INTERESTING

I am going to look into this,you can bet an arm,a leg and a woofer on it. A Bob Carver designed sub can only be very good.

I have dual Carver KS subs,had all three Sunfire(sold)and will buy thye newer EQ versions. Well another batch of Carver Designed subs,his audio know how is is matched maybe by very few designers alive.

I am looking forward to this [:D]

HA found them online,and some small pics! There is the D8/D10 and D12.These apear to use a similar woofer as the Sunfire subs,this translates into 2.25inches of cone travel.

A simple hint,paste... Bob Carver Dominator Subs ...into Google search,press SEARCH and the first sites found...a store with small pics.

Yes, but do they ship to North America for anything less than what they cost to buy?

Do they take a 110 outlet?

Are they FCC compliant?

Some things to think about before overseas purchase. I would also make sure that the Bob Carver name on them is properly licensed.