My Review of the Onkyo DV-SP1000

cdsang

To start out with, I was looking for a good DVD player and went to my dealer. Looking at models and reading reviews, I decided on this model. I have had this unit for about 3 weeks now and just recently got a new Toshiba 30 inch 16 by 9 HDTV(first TV i ever bought) because I was sick of my RCA 20 inch.

Getting the Unit

I called my high end store to see if the unit can with his saying he just got it 10 mins ago. I go to pick it up being very happy it finally arrived. I got there and he brought out the box and it was just huge. Exited I opened it to see what it looked like in person. Beatiful was the first thought in my mind. It looked so well crafted. I boxed it back up and took it home.

Unpacking the Unit

I got home and moved my old unit out and carfully put in the Onkyo. Geeze this was heavy for a DVD player. Getting my 2nd look at it still looking how pretty it is. Everything was packed well and has a pretty decent size manual. The remote looks like the Onkyo reciver ones only this one has a nice alumium top part and nice gummy buttons. It included all your connection cords including HDMI.

Menu setup

The menu is pretty easy to use and understand. It also includes 3 saved setups for both interlaced and Progressive settings such as, color, brightness, contrast and so on. The background can even be changed to a few different colors with a stone on the bottem left of the color type. Looks good actually. Using the remote with the menu was pretty easy and feels nice to use.

CD Audio

I tried multiple types of music on this unit and it doesn't matter which one it is, it just sounds awsome. Comparing it to my DV-SP 301 I know doesn't seem fair, but I wanted to see how much more I got. It seems the 1000 is alot less compressed and sounds more open. I used the Video off button for my audio listening. I noticed it helps it be even more less compressed. Be carefull with this unit, it likes to go loud. I am now seeing my reciver is now the weekness, because I was able to turn it up without my ears complaining, I got the point were my reciver started to compress.

DVD Audio

I only have one DVD audio, but that to sounded pretty good. I have been litting my parents borrow my RF-3IIs so 5.1 wasn't an option to try, but the 2.1 I was useing sounded better then the 5.1 on the 301. Basicly it did the same thing to DVD audio as it did to CDs.

DVD Video Standered TV

I put in some of my favorite ones this test. I used Toy Story, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles and a few other Pixar movies. I also tried Pirits of the caribeian and Back to the Future 3. The picture was better but not a major jump. My RCA isn't that great.

DVD Video HDTV

I used the same disk as the standed TV test but got much better results with my HDTV . I used both componet connections which both look really good with the HD looking better in coler and depth. I dunno if any of you heard about the sound deley on HDTVs with this unit. Well, its there, but not to noticeable. I did however use the setup parts in the DVD player to compesate for it and now works fine. I also tried the HDMI cable that came with it which lets you change the resolution and yes, that looks even better. When watching Toy Story with compent inputs, I was able to see the threads on the seat of the Pizza Planet truck and on the bed. Even the door looked like real wood with all the marks it was showing.

Conclusion

Ok, I realize I have spelling errors, but my computer is on the frits and I don't want to retype this. Anyway, this is a wonferfull unit. If spending this kinda money is no problem and you don't have a hgh end DVD player yet, this is one to get. I do realize however this is not the only great model out there. This is just from what I have seen and IMHO one of the best players I have ever seen up and running.

Hope you guys like the review.