SW-12 replacement amp:

maynard1

New to this site. Having problems with my SW-12 sub. The amp has a very loud hum. Took it to my local dealer and was quoted $425.00 to replace the amp. I am looking at plate amps on the Parts Express site. They have a 300W bash amp that looks like it will fit with a little enclosure modification. Any body here used this Amp? It sells for $149.99. Thanks and have a happy new year.

Hi maynard1,

I have had the same sub fo a very long time. When I first plugged it in, it did produce a hum.

Went out and bought a cheater plug (three prong to two prong adapter) which took care of the problem.

Hopefully, thats what it is.....................

Take care

Mike

Tried the cheater plug first. Heard about it on this site. Was strange how it started, got up one morning and heard a loud hum. Was not there the night before. turned sub off and it went away. Turned sub back on that night and it came back. That is when I searched this site and heard about the cheater plug. I even tried to plug it into an electrical outlet that is on a different breaker. No change. Hum is still there if I unhook the input cables. Dealer service dept checked it and said amp needs replaced. Thanks for the reply.

Tried the cheater plug first. Heard about it on this site. Was strange how it started, got up one morning and heard a loud hum. Was not there the night before. turned sub off and it went away. Turned sub back on that night and it came back. That is when I searched this site and heard about the cheater plug. I even tried to plug it into an electrical outlet that is on a different breaker. No change. Hum is still there if I unhook the input cables. Dealer service dept checked it and said amp needs replaced. Thanks for the reply.

Just make sure of the dimensions, especially the depth. Does sound like a replacement amp is needed. Go for a parts express amp.

I ditto about the PE amps. I have two and both are very well built for the money. They both have a slight hum in them but its not that bad. Definetly can't hear it unless I walk up and put my head up to one of the subs. I would guess of all the plate amps PE sells, the BASH ones are the quietest ones. I think the s/n ratio is very good on them. scp53

Update, I replaced the amp in my SW-12 with the Parts Express 300W Bash amp. As you can see in the photo I had to add a filler to the opening and re cut it as the Bash is taller and narrower than the original. No problem if you have a jig saw and a woodworking router. The modification came out very well. On music the sub sounds great. Clean and tight. On Ht it is a little boomy. I am thinking about changing 2 of the resistors to get 6db bass boost @ 25-30Hz, War of the Worlds tried it out last night. I will work on room placement and crossover adj first. Anyone here have suggestion on a replacement driver and PR. Sub box volumn is 2.3 cu ft. Looking at the SW-12A and PR-12A from Gr Research. Any one here used them? Any other suggestions? If I cannot get the sound I am after I may replace the driver and PR. I am using RW-35's for the front RC-35 center, RW-5 in wall for surround sides and IW-150 in wall for rear surround. DTR 7.4 Integra for AV receiver. Thanks