Newbie looking for advice

Raymondo

Hello All:

Klipsch forum newbie here --

I recently bought a pair of RF-7s which I currently have hooked up to the stereo audio output jacks of my 35" TV.

I have always wanted a high-quality audio system, and I figured that on my budget I would not get a receiver/amp, CD player, speakers, etc. all at once.

I figured I would start with speakers, and I currently have a mighty-fine sounding TV.

I listen to the cable-TV MusicChoice channels, and CDs that I play on the cheapie DVD player I have connected to the TV.

The next step (I think) is to get a good amp/receiver and then after that, CD player ............

Question #1 --

What would you suggest in the $1000 area for a receiver?

Also, a little more than half way down this page:

http://www.klipsch.com/newscenter/feature.aspx?cid=1051

it states that speakers can suffer damage from being under-powered due to clipping.

Question #2 --

Am I in danger of damaging my RF-7s by under-powering them with my TV's 10watt/channel output?

I will greatly appreciate your help/advice/insight in these questions.

Thank you

welcome ray

i would work on the amp thing first and use the pre outs on the tv to the amp.

be careful with powering your 7's with the tv.

if it starts to sound strained then be sure to turn it down.

(for that matter even after you get your amp)

jay

It is not very likely that you will damage your 7s with a 10 watt amp at reasonable levels. Some here listen to theirs with 3.5 watt amps.

That said, you are not doing them justice!

You will get quite a few opinions on an amp but answer some basic questions:

What type of music do you listen to?

Are you looking for a 2 channel or a multi-channel amp?

Do you need a reciever with a tuner?

Do you feel comfortable looking at tubes or prefer the comfort of solid state?

Rick

Hi Rick/zapper:

I wasn't thinking that I could cause damage by underpowering, but the Klipsh article noted previously raised the issue.

I listen mostly to rock but have been becoming interested in classical lately.

At this time I believe I would like a 2-channel solid state receiver.

-Ray

Ray,

If you're beginning to listen to "classical" I suggest you pay attention to the distortion at low power, of any amp you consider. There is a lot of low level detail in classical recordings. If your amp does not handle low power well, much of the more delicate sounds (strings, harpsichord, even trumpet) will sound piercing and harsh. One way to say it is: power gives you volume, low distortion at low power gives you quality.

Some types of amps that handle low power well are: many tube amps, Class-A transistor amps, "digital" or pwm amps (pwm stands for pulse width modulation).

If a transistor or pwm amp claims under 0.05% distortion at 0.5W or lower, it's probably pretty good. If distortion is only specified at "rated output" it could be pretty bad.

With tube amps, It's hard to say because it's so dependent on implementation.

Unless you have a reliable endorsement or return policy, listen to an amp on your speakers before you buy. Also, try a few out to get some feel for the differences.

Good luck,

Leo

I would second Leok's comments on getting a Class A amp. These are in a whole other category though and will cost you.

Another option, if you are planning to eventually set up a home theater system is to simply buy an HT reciever and use it for 2 channel now. If you have $1000 to spend you can buy a VERY nice HT reciever. I like Harman/Kardon but most folks here are Denon fans. This would kill two birds with on stone. If you are a very critical listener though you may want to stick with a 2 chan amp.

I know you said you were not interested in tubes. The guys here talked me into it a few years ago when I was looking for a $1000 solid state amp. I ended getting a used Scott 299 off eBay and an outfit called NOSValves refurbed it for me. All told I have about $650 invested in this amp. I used the extra cash to buy a Rega Planet CD player and had $100 to spare for some decent cables/wire. No regrets--I couldn't tell much difference between solid state amps, but tubes were a whole new world.

• Like 1