Ear, so many subs, so little time?

Colin

I've a heard a few, bought a two on close-out, but since I can lift my low end 20 Db or more above a flat room response down to 25 Hz, I can't see getting anymore - what do you use on your main music system and why so many?

Why have you tried so many in your home?

What did you not like about the LF10?

I too think that subs sound better along the wall, but I also think that has something to do with the higher frequencies (40 and above) and the creation of a illusory soundstage ...

------------------

horns & subs; lights out & tubes glowing

First what I use in my music system.

Dynaudio Contour 3.3(speakers)rosewood finish

Aerial Acoustics SW12(sub)rosewood finish

Krell FPB600(SS power amp,BIG POWER)

Audio Research LS25(tube preamp)

Sony SCD-1(SACD,CD player)

Monster Cable Sigma (speaker wires)

Monster Cable M1000 (interconects)

This is my music only system,as you can see the superb Aerial Acoustics SW12 is the sub here.The Aerial has all the qualities of the SVS Ultra in a gorgeous rosewood finish cabinet,this sub is heavy.Its built like a rock and from the driver to the amp the quality is second to none(even the large REL subs dont best this beast!).

I use the Aerial because its fast,and bass definition matches the Contour 3.3 speakers.The Contour 3.3's are very fast speakers,and the Aerial can keep up very well thank you.

Now to the question why did I try so many.Simple,like I said before I am addicted to music and audio gear.And I dont hide the fact I am a sub bass freak.

Right now as we speak I am testing a new sub! Smile.gif

Its a Infinity units with the RABOS bass optimisation,its very fast and uncolored.Sounds more like an Aerial or SVS Ultras with a mighty amp.

I enjoy testing,listening,comparing all the subs(not only subs,amps,CD players,D/A converters,speakers...anything audio related).

And last WHY did I not like the LF-10.

Very simple.

The LF-10 was over $2000 Canadian,not cheap by any standard.A $2000 subwoofer better perform.The Sunfire Mark II cost me under two grand Canadian!

When I compared the Klipsch LF-10 to the Sunfire Mark II I was shocked.Shocked by how poorly the LF-10 performed when compared to the Mark II.At high volume the LF-10 was muddy and the amp cliped often!I told myself the voice coil hit the back plate! But no it was cliping! DUH

And there were audible air leaks when playing pipe organ(sub 20Hz info).The Sunfire bested the LF-10 in both bass quality,built quality,and performed like a star.The Sunfire could shake the room with 25Hz sub bass,the LF-10 was so weak at 25Hz it was not even funny.

So this is it,maybe I had a lemon LF-10.Who knows

Still the gap in performance was just huge.And considering the asking price,an insult.

So here you have it.

Anout the along the wall sub placement.I dont hear any illusion of better soundstage.The speakers provide this

the Dynes are holographic.

TheEAR(s) Now theears