THE amp for low-power tube aficionados

djk

gosh, and only the price of a used car.

I didn't know that you could buy a used car for that little...Surprise? 1980 mint Yugo?

I'm never surprised at the gullibility of audiophiles and their willingness to to pump huge piles of cash to dubious characters like Mr. Pass and his dealer cohort.

Dennis (djk) is pointing out the DIY version, whose parts are a few $s, and that is something that Nelson Pass clearly supports and encourages - he actually wants innovative and knowledgeable competitors (not that many have taken him up on the offer...).

Nelson Pass sold 100 units--which apparently went fast--then released the schematics--a policy that he never fails to follow for his "First Watt" company (this is NOT "Pass Labs") that he runs on the side with his son and a son's friend. Pretty cool, I'd say. I wish that I could do that for my son and friends--as well as he has done.

I don't begrudge paying someone for innovation, quality and outstanding performance not available elsewhere (...sounds like PWK's M.O. Idea...), because this amplifier exhibits all three characteristics. I'm delighted with paying him for that. If I want to make clones for myself, that is apparently okay with Nelson Pass.

It seems to me that the really big electronics giants like Sony, Yamaha, HK, Philips, GE, etc., don't do that--at least in my experience...

Chris Roll-eyes

Well, to get it over with, I would expect someone who paid that much for a high school electronics class design to feel the need to justify the outlay. Audiopiles always go to great lenghts to justify the outlay.

And yes, you can certainly buy good used cars for much less than that, but of course you need to use your intelligence and car knowledge to get one. I'm into my third year of driving my $500 Mercury minivan, with a total outlay of $300 for new tires and $850 in repairs. That works out to $550 a year plus gas and oil changes, or the equivalent of one or two car payments. Not bad, huh?

But I won't blame Mr. Pass. Bilking rich people out of money is the American way, after all. Perhaps a $5000 power cord or some magic stones will make it sound even better?

gosh, and only the price of a used car.

I didn't know that you could buy a used car for that little...Surprise? 1980 mint Yugo?

I'm never surprised at the gullibility of audiophiles and their willingness to to pump huge piles of cash to dubious characters like Mr. Pass and his dealer cohort.

Dennis (djk) is pointing out the DIY version, whose parts are a few $s, and that is something that Nelson Pass clearly supports and encourages - he actually wants innovative and knowledgeable competitors (not that many have taken him up on the offer...).

Nelson Pass sold 100 units--which apparently went fast--then released the schematics--a policy that he never fails to follow for his "First Watt" company (this is NOT "Pass Labs") that he runs on the side with his son and a son's friend. Pretty cool, I'd say. I wish that I could do that for my son and friends--as well as he has done.

I don't begrudge paying someone for innovation, quality and outstanding performance not available elsewhere (...sounds like PWK's M.O. Idea...), because this amplifier exhibits all three characteristics. I'm delighted with paying him for that. If I want to make clones for myself, that is apparently okay with Nelson Pass.

It seems to me that the really big electronics giants like Sony, Yamaha, HK, Philips, GE, etc., don't do that--at least in my experience...

Chris Roll-eyes

Thanks again to you both for sharing your insights and experience with these Nelson Pass designs. I get some personal reassurance that my system choice, will be as you pointed out Chris (...sounds like PWK's M.O.) I lost count of the endless hours of "all night" reading wondering about "the writers context" and so much other stuff before I made the choice of Jubilee and X350.5 combination. I have not heard either and made my choice with good faith. Now I'm working the environment to suit as much as possible and have virtually completed the wall design and LFE for movies.

I am amazed that I am guided to find this information and put together a system that I believe will be extraordinary. Thank you for your contributions.