Bookshelf Speaker Orientation?

PaulE

I just picked up a pair of SB-3s and I love them, although I overpayed, as I paid a list $450 from a store which discounts everything else, but apparently not these...still, I'm not unhappy, because theyre some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard...I have them situated in my wall unit, and I have them on their side...Is there any reason bookshelf monitors like these cannot be placed either horizontally, or vertically, without negative impact?

PaulE

The Tractrix horn on the SB-3's radiates sound at a 90 x 60 degree pattern. Putting them on their side will narrow their mid/high horizontal dispersion pattern, creating less of a prime listening area. You also may create some reflected sound off of the ceiling (and floor if not carpeted) that may color the sound.

Yes, I considered this..HOwever, the speakers are situated about 6.3 feet up in the air on top of my wall unit. The seating areas are about 10 feet in front of them. I believe that, on their sides, the horns should be projecting just about right for those sitting in the chairs and couch listening.